Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

water transfer pump

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. I have to buy my ro water and it comes in 5 gallon bottles. My tank is sitting on a stand that is about 3 feet then add the height of the tank makes the top of the tank about 5 feet. I wonder if someone has made a transfer pump that I would be able to make. I could leave my bottle of water on the floor and pump the water up into the tank. Being old makes it tought for me to get the jug high enough to pour the water into the tank and then it stirs up the sand. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can always dump the water from the bottles into a bucket on the floor. Then just put a pump in the bucket with output tubing or PVC going up to your tank.
Any standard aquarium pump rated for at least 6 feet head pressure should work.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You could look into an auto top off. It would fill your tank as needed. I've been looking into getting one from Tunze.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuck143 View Post
You could look into an auto top off. It would fill your tank as needed. I've been looking into getting one from Tunze.
I believe you are referring to the controller. You still need to pump the water from the floor to a 5 ft height to fill the tank. Having a sump would solve the problem with a small power head from the bucket to sump. Your option is to follow what dave is saying by getting a Sump Pump and attatch a flexible plastic tubing.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post

I believe you are referring to the controller. You still need to pump the water from the floor to a 5 ft height to fill the tank. Having a sump would solve the problem with a small power head from the bucket to sump. Your option is to follow what dave is saying by getting a Sump Pump and attatch a flexible plastic tubing.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...42661473,d.dmQ

Comes with everything needed. The other two options listed above would work too.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read the manual and for a height of 5 ft it can supply about 12 gph. So if you have a 60 gal tank and replacing 20% it would take about an hour. That's not bad. You can then watch TV while it is filling up. This is great if you do not have a sump since it will automatically replenish the water evaporation. Just hide the bucket though.

Tags
pump, transfer, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com