Water with a TDS reading of 39 still ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really need to use some water tonight but my ro/di water is reading 39. Can I still use this water or is it too high?

Well, guess I won't be using the water, added another 5gal bucket of water to my storage container and it now reads over 120. Membrane was find the other day, just tested some water in another 2gal contaner and it was at 1.

What is it coming directly out of the unit? It's possible your storage container has picked up some solids. Water is like a sponge, it may come out of the RO at 1, but it won't stay that way for long.

Yeah, I smell a rat here as well. The RO membrane shouldn't just quit working. You would normally see a slow steady rise in TDS as the membrane went bad or clogged up. Do you backflush it regularly? If not, try that and see what effect it has. Also, as Kevin said, check your storage container for evidence of solids. Kids dropped a handful of dirt in...cat went for a swim...anything could contaminate it.

What type of bucket you using, I was using a cheaper trashcan and it leached as much as 5 TDS per day!! Every day I left it in, it would jump. Others can tell you which are reef safe and which arent. If memory serves me correct ( I could have this backwards) I think the Rubbermaid Brute is ok. I think they are grey. Someone let me know which one is safe and which one isnt. I am not at home and cant check

I think the Rubbermaid Brute is ok.
Yes, all the Rubbermaid Brute's are food quality according to their site.

I use old salt buckets for RO/DI top off and they rarely go above 3 tds. The brute I use for mixing is in the 40's before I add any salt.

Aqua FX has storage containers available with the float valve already installed. They are black ABS, food grade, and come with a lid.

Must have been a dirty can or something, water from the ro reads 2 so I'm safe :)

Back
Top Bottom