Waterbed Heater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verbalkint

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could you not use a waterbed heater under the bottom of your main tank, with the temperature probe in your sump, etc, for temperature control?

I am think that having a heater that takes up the majority of the bottom area of the tank (Granted, UNDER the glass, not IN the tank) would provide more even, effecient heating of the water.

Has this been tried? Am I crazy? Would it even work?

I suppose you could, but those waterbed heaters are expensive, aren't they? I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work unless any amount of weight is resting on the heating wires - if they bend or break it'll stop working.

Well, not if you think about it.

The sides of the aquarium are the only things making direct contact with the stand.. Leaving an 'air space' under the central mass of the tank.

In here, with some fire resistant (or at least heat resistant) padding under it, you could pretty much adjust the weight on the heater...

But then again, how much water does a King Size waterbed hold? That's a bit of pressure on the heater too.. Isnt it?

Yes, I was thinking about that 'air space' and making it work.

I would find a way to adhere the heater pad to the bottom of the tank and maybe use some kind of completely collapsable foam padding to keep the heater against the glass.

If you were to use some kind of padding that actually applied force to the bottom of the tank - you could have a huge mess on your hands.

Verbalkint said:
Well, not if you think about it.

The sides of the aquarium are the only things making direct contact with the stand.. Leaving an 'air space' under the central mass of the tank.

In here, with some fire resistant (or at least heat resistant) padding under it, you could pretty much adjust the weight on the heater...

But then again, how much water does a King Size waterbed hold? That's a bit of pressure on the heater too.. Isnt it?

The water in the bed is perfectly dispersed on the pad - and is also perfectly cushioned. The aquarium is going to have pressure points along with unyielding pressure. I think you can get it to work, just gotta be careful.

I would think our asking for a busted tank, I cant see where it would be worth the risk. You will have some serious pressure points on the botom of the tank.

2 things...

air is an insulator. so, unless you can make it contact the entire bottom of the tank, it wont do much.

the glass and sand are also insulating the water from the heater. the tank bottom and sand will see high temperatures due to the heater and the water will not be getting the same heat input as if you were using a submersible heater.

also, you will have to insulate the bottom of the heating pad so that no heat is lost to the air underneath it.

all in all, i think this wont work. sorry :(

~mike

I thought you could get around the air/insulation problem with a foam pad, but that's a good point about the sand - it would also provide an insulating effect.

Oh well.. :)

This is why I ask before I do something dumb sounding like that.. :)

Thanks for the insight, guys. (and gals, if applicable)

Back
Top Bottom