Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Waterchange in QT tank?

I'm going to QT my next fish for 4 weeks. Should I do a waterchange during that time? If so, how often, and how much?

FYI: 15gallon QT tank, Fluval Plus 2 filter w/1 seeded foam pad (left under live sand in main tank for 2 weeks) and 1 unseeded, no substrate.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
steve-s

Not really much different than the main tank. Do water changes as needed based on the levels of NH3 or NO2 (if any). Regular 10-15% water changes would still be a good idea though. Once fish are added, it's a good habit to syphon out any uneaten foods and detritus accumulation soon afterwards. It will help keep the water quality in check.

Also remember that if meds are needed, the new water for changes must be medicated accordingly to maintain concentrations. Be sure to use well aged an aerated water that has been tested to ensure the chem match's as closely as possible.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Not to hijack this thread but along the same lines...I have had a QT tank up and running for about 2-3 weeks and had a fish in there and now he is out. I checked the water quality and I was blown away. The trite was .50, trate was 30 and ammonia was .50!! This is in a 20 gallon tank as well....AND this was after a 20% water change. How in the world am I going to leave a fish in QT for the full 4-6 weeks without killing it? Im thinking of just starting all over again. What should I do? I really dont want to waste my time doing water changes over and over if it is just as easy to start over.....
Old 05-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
What should I do? I really dont want to waste my time doing water changes over and over if it is just as easy to start over.....
Starting over won't really help you. If the tank was not seeded or cycled, you will have to do water changes regardless. If you are in "add fish mode" then keep the QT up and cycled for the duration. Having plenty of PVC pipe will also allow for greater surface area and more bacteria. That in turn will help control water quality. Just be sure when there are no fish in the QT foods are added in small portions once or twice a week to feed the bacteria.

One thing to note though depending on if the fish needs treating, many meds will destroy the biofilter anyway. Water changes are really going to be part and parcel unless you have a healthy fish that goes off without a hitch.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-20-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
The QT tank was seeded with a spounge from my main tanks sump. Plus I put a peice of LR in there too for bacteria. Yes this is a add fish mode but all of my levels are to high so I guess water changes will be the way I go. Plus the water in the QT tank was from my main tank which all of the levels were perfect going into the QT tank. On the PVC I have 2 very large ones in there.
The problem occurred when I think I added to much food and the bacteria couldnt keep up.
Guess i will once I add fish to the QT tank do more water tests and water changes....any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
The problem occurred when I think I added to much food and the bacteria couldnt keep up.
Best solution there is to use a flexible airline tube attached to a rigid airline tube and syphon out the uneaten foods and detritus not too long after each feeding. If you can keep those to a minimum, it will cut down on your maintenance some and make controlling the water quality much easier.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com