Waterchange problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just mixed some of my new salt up for the first time (Tropic Marin Pro Reef) and it's been mixing for 24 hours, and the pH is only about 7.9 in it! This is opposed to the 8.2/8.3 my tank is at right now (and always is), and indeed what my instant ocean salt was at.

I'm just about to do a 10% change but don't want to screw anything up with the lower pH.

Anyone any ideas (quickly ;)?

I have the same problem with IO. Even after 24 hours mixing with a powerhead, the last several uncovered, my pH is only at about 8. I have the same problem in the tank. (I use RO from several different machines and the problem is always the same.) I was getting ready to blame the salt mix, but you've blown that, MarkW19! Thanks! :)

Anyway, no advice but I will tag along to see what others suggest.

quarryshark: I do have it available (proper pH 8.2) but I dont see why I should need it with a "better" (higher alkalinity/calcium levels etc. and apparently a slightly higher pH!) salt, when I never did with the old IO.

I want to avoid adding things if at all possible, especially when others using the TMPR (ie. shelton) are getting the correct pH with it (8.3/8.4).

why worry about it ? imo you will never match your tanks water with a new mix anyway ! so imo the best water change method is to slowly drip it back into your sump if it big enough to handle a water change and keep running ! or leave you powerheads running and use and air line to syphon the water from the bucket back into the tank ! imo its safer ! just might take longer :-/

You should always try to match ph, SG and temp as closely as possible! :)

My old "worse" salt did it, there's no reason why this one shouldn't.

It's been mixing again for a further 24 hours, and still the same (7.8/7.9).

I have some Proper pH 8.2 - should I use this on it? Don't see why I should have to, as I didn't have to with the IO (and others with the TMPR haven't had to). But, is Proper pH ok? Will it upset or damage anything or make anything less stable in my tank? Or is it only a positive thing?

am I missing something??????? does instant ocean adjust the PH as well????? I've always added proper PH when making my water.......

you shouldn't have to add proper pH when making water. Good R/O water should take all the buffering your salt mix will offer. Tap water can cause issues though, since it may have off levels of magnesium, and probably already contains some of the buffering you're after.
when I used tap water, my pH was 7.9...when I switched to R/O, it was 8.1-8.2

well that's kewl....... that should save a few bucks.... I just did RO/DI for the first time tonight....... will keep that in mind from now on..... didn't realize the salt had a buffer in it....

We use Coralife salt and our ph is always 8.2 straight out of the bucket. We also use tap water currently.

Back
Top Bottom