Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

waterflow

Newbie here!

I have a small 17 gallon tank - 14"x12"x18" (width x depth x height). It's been running for three months now. All I have now is a damsel and I just recently added a cup (should've researched and planned it out before purchasing).

I'm hoping to make this into a mini-reefer.

How does one determine the correct waterflow. Also, what direction? My LFS told me to point the powerhead so that the flow disturbs the surface of the water.

I have two RIO 180 powerheads running (with the waterflow turned down because I don't want a cyclone in my tank)

I plan on purchasing some Key rock from liverock.com, also.

Btw, are those microbubbles acceptable? Is there a way to get rid of them or are microbubbles a good thing?

Thanks everyone!

p.s. this site is awesome! i'm learning so much!

Old 06-26-2004, 12:24 AM   #2

p.p.s. I also have a SeaClone 100 protein skimmer running and a little fan running to keep the heat in check (i love my $20 fan! it saved me from spending $$$ on a chiller!)

Old 06-26-2004, 01:25 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Micro bubbles are not a good thing, how to get rid of them would largely depend on what's causing them.

Turn the power back up on the powerheads, you do want a cyclone in that tank, and you cannot come close to the amount of flow the corals and fish are subjected to in the ocean. I would point them at the front glass angled towards the center, and put them on a wave timer, I would probably also add another powerhead.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
is that cap fine with PC? i always thought they need MH or a lot of light. but ya i think i have about 500 gph on my return pump and then a MJ 900 and goign ot replaceing it with a MJ1200 soon i have water turn over of about 12x per hour on just the return pump. you can have too much flow on a tank unless the fish are pasted on the sides of the tank.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:01 AM   #5

ok.. got it!

1. turn up the power on my powerheads and point towards the center (but won't that tire out the fish?). and add ANOTHER powerhead?? really??

2. microbubbles are caused by my protein skimmer. what should i do??

3. the cap is actually doing very well! before, when the heat was up on my tank (83 degrees), it was withdrawn... but since i've added the second powerhead and installed the fan dropping the water temp down to 78 degrees, it's been doing very well and looking healthy!

this site rocks... thanks for all the advice!

to the rest of you out there... enlighten me!
Old 06-26-2004, 06:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

skimmers when new can produce bubbles. They should go away in a bit. The other cause of bubbles is a small leak in your plumbing, check hose connections and tighten as neseccary. What type of skimmer?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:22 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

It's not a cap, it's a cup coral Turbinaria sp. Should be fine under PCs. As noted above new skimmers will produce micro-bubbles for a week or two, if it persists, you'll need to look at adjusting the amount of air going into the skimmer or the waterflow. Seaclones are not the best skimmer, I think I would have recommended a bak pak 2R or a remora for that size tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:33 PM   #8

your absolutely right... it is a cup coral

and i will defintely check out those recommendations you made on skimmers... thanks!

do you think the PC i have is sufficient lighting for a small anenmone if i were to try one like next year?
Old 06-26-2004, 12:35 PM   #9

btw, what makes the remora or bak pak 2R better than the seaclone 100 that i have right now?
Old 06-26-2004, 12:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just from other peoples experience they dont work that great. I have a seaclone 150 and plan on get the remora, when the cash flow starts flowing a little. My has done good so far. It will fill up a nastylittle cup full in about 4-5days.

Tags
flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com