waterproof silicon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetsetter57

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a tank from a friend that had severe salt creep at the top edge of the tank. It is a corner tank without a top cover, just the glass and light hood. The salt was getting up between the inside of the glass and the decorative top edge and down the outside of the tank and all over the floor.

My question is, can I use hardware store clear waterproof silicon to seal that gap? As long as it's above the water line could it at all start to breakdown and leach into the tank?

use GE #1 silicone for any resealing. It must be 100% silicone with no additives thats why the GE is the one to use to be sure.

That is the wrong silicone to use that has additives in it. You need to return it and get GE #1 not 2

+1 the GE #1 is what you want, but you could def. use the #2 for other household applications, around a tub, sink etc...

Whoops, well I'll give it plenty of time to dry before any water hits it. Again it's above the waterline so hopefully once dry there's no chance of breakdown. We'll see, I guess!

Back
Top Bottom