Waterpump, submersible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyen27

Aquarium Advice Activist
What will be a good waterpump, submersible for return water from sump; 5 gals container, with overflow of about 300-500gph!
Thanks

What is the head height that the pump will need to push the water? This is one of the factors when sizing a pump for a given flow rate.

Thanks for the link R95RDSTR,
FF: The head height for this is about 4 feets with one 90%elbow, I'm looking to get a good circulation for a 15gals tank.
Thanks.

look at the mag drives....VERY good pumps but a little pricey depending on where you get them. Just my opinion.

Nguyen,

The Mag pumps are reliable, effecient and cost effective. One very big problem though and I tell you this from experience - Very Noisy. If you are pumping back from a sump (i.e. only circulation application) consider external and take a look at www.championlighting.com click on products then pumps. I'd advise the Blue line HD 30 or 40 or perhaps the Iwaki 30rlxt (540gph) or 40rlxt (960gph) ($108.00 and 129.00 respectively). Note that these are all very, very quiet pumps. Also, if you must go submersible, you might want to consider buying your MAG pump from www.bigalsonline.com (much cheaper and great service). Also consider the QueitOne Submersibles - submersible and quiet.

I originally had a Mag 7 on my sump return - the hum was so bad that I re-did my whole system one week after installing the Mag. So much noise the tank became a distraction - can't imagine so much noise and vibration would be too good for the fish either :)

Good luck - hope I helped.

Tom

Thanks for the information;
I'm looking to get this setup in bedroom so consider I'm looking for something quiet, and have to be submersible. I heard several good comment on the Dophin series? Are they good/quiet?

The dolphin pumps are probably the second quietest pumps available for this app. The quietest (by both technical info and my own experience) are the CustomSealife T3 and T4 Titanium pumps. Incredible 30db of noise at 3 feet. Even with my ear right next to it I would have problems determining if it was running. I used a T4 on my sump at one point for my 125 - only swithced recently when I went with OceanClears on my 125. The one big problem with the Customsealife pumps and also the MAG pumps which I did not mention earlier - no good water isolation from magnetic coils from a heat transfer point of view. All other pumps I mentioned have excellent thermal isolation (particularly the Blue Line, Iwaki, and Dolphin). You naturally want this and the Mag 7 will undoubtly raise your tank temp at least 2-5 degrees from ambient temp.

BTW another important consideration is effeciency - watts/GPH - i.e. paying a little more for a better pump can save a lot in the log run. For example a pump which costs $50 dollars less but pumps the same water volume but uses 100 watts more to do it may result in an additional cost as follows:

100 watts x 24hrs per day = 2400 watts/hr/day or 2.4 Kwh(kilowatthours per day).
assuming $.15 per Kwh (check local area for exact costs) then:
2.4 * .15 = $.36 per day * 365 days = $131 /year.

So the pump which was $50 cheaper, actually cost you $131 per year more to run. Certainly no savings there :)

Also - check this site - very good info on water pumps
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/sep/product/default.asp

Please don't be too quick to settle on Mag Drive - especially for a bedroom application and especially if you need better then 500gph.

Hope this helped as well.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom