Wattage for heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furniilou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am about to purchase a 40 litre tank, because I have decided my 28 litre tank is to small. I have a protein skimmer that can be used on a 40litre tank.

I have a 50w heater, that I'm using in my current tank (28litre)
But I was wondering if this is suitable for my 40litre tank?

Thanks in advance x

My tank is only 8.8gallons (to be precise)

Does that mean my 55w heater would be ok? I keep my tank at 26 degrees

Thank you x

If you can keep the temperature very stable, Yes, it is enough. Cheap heaters are often not stable. You can turn it on maximum and plug it on a good water thermostat.

Something like this (but rated for 110V) should do the job.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-Digita...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4612d741fc

Do it only if the temperature is not stable.

Some keep two heater running in same time... That doesn't take more energy, but you get more in reliability.

That's usefull on discus FW tanks, and reefs.

Some keep two heater running in same time... That doesn't take more energy, but you get more in reliability.

That's usefull on discus FW tanks, and reefs.

+1 You stagger the settings of both so that the 2nd one with lower setting only turns on when the 1st one breaks or can't keep up the the proper temperature. You also have to take into consideration that using an over sized heater will create short burst of heat resulting to short cycling of temperature. The right size is one which very slowly ramp up to the proper setting minimizing unnecessary sudden fluctuation. You also consider the difference of room temperature with your tank. Manufacturers include a table where it suggests the wattage of heater versus the size of tank and the temperature differential.

Edit: The 50 watt is sufficient for a 10 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom