Wattage recommended LED 90

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tntfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90 Gallon tank with some small fish and i am nearing the point where i want to start introducing corals to my tank i have a MH/PC fixture on the tank for now but i want to go with LEDs im curious to hear what colors and wattage are giving the best results for growing a wide range of corals the tank is
24 inches deep

I am setting up a 90 gallon this summer and just ordered my lights on Friday from rapidled.com. They require a bit of DIY work but it is a pretty good price for a fixture with 3 watt cree LEDs. I have read good things but I will let you know how they are when I get mine up, I am putting half of them over my 29 while I build the 90. Here is a link. http://www.rapidled.com/standard-90g-tank-dimmable-kit/

I have also heard good things about the taotronics LEDs off eBay. I'm sure someone knows more about them than I do.

My LFS sells the ecotec radio a and those are pretty cool but I don't want to spend 2 grand lighting my 90 gallon reef.

yes i am actually on rapidled.com right now but not sure what to get i am really good at soldering and all that so i would have no prob assembling it i like the violet leds but im not sure on the pros and cons

I was kinda wondering the same thing. I emailed them and this was the response I got about the led colors.
"The color ratio listed for the 90g tank kit is what we have found provides the most well rounded color spectrum for both growth and coloration."

FWIW Im running the taotronics LED's over an 180 the lights are 34 inches off the bottom tank is 24 high I get great growth from my SPS which sit on the sand bed IMO you cant go wrong for the price. You'll need two for your 90.
The violet LED's are billed as a UV emitting LED the tao's dont have them but it dont seem to bother the coral.

I have both fixtures. Both crow corals great. The Taotronics are cheaper, the Rapid fixture uses Cree LEDs and has a warmer color temperature which doesn't affect coral growth, but I think it is a bit more pleasing to the eye. I can recommend both.

Back
Top Bottom