Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wave Makers

Any thoughts on the wave maker systems? I'm curious if the work well or not. Is it a "needed" item in a reef tank. I need more water flow and wondered if anyone had tried them.
Thanks!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
What size tank and what system are you looking at?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I use a SCWD it directs incoming water to two alternating outputs, switching automatically at a rate depending on incoming pressure. I like it because it's quieter and it runs off the pump. No power needed. I have about 4 years on the one I'm running now, never had to clean or disconnect for any reason.

I have used a Natural Wave Pump Timer before I changed to Koralia pumps. The Koralia 4's don't work well with this wave maker.

If I had a spare grand I think I would try with a Koralia system. Dr Foster's appears to have a sale on the power heads at this time.

Then again for a lot less cash I could add to my existing pump and SCWD. Then I could run two.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I honestly know little about your setup. I know Carey and others have had great success with the koralias. I personally have two ecotech marine mp10s one my 40 breeder and couldn't be happier. I am upgrading them to wireless for all their features before going reef. It all just depends on what you want to do
Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wavemakers are great for reef tanks. I have a tunze system and it is awesome. It is good to simulate natural wave currents from different directions for the corals
Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wavemakers can be awesome, I currently just run regular old Koralias with no wavemaker though and my reefs are pretty happy. If I had the money I wou;d most likely get one though. It's not a necessity but it can be helpful.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Wavemakers can be awesome, I currently just run regular old Koralias with no wavemaker though and my reefs are pretty happy. If I had the money I wou;d most likely get one though. It's not a necessity but it can be helpful.
Agreed, it's a lot more upfront, but the evidence is overwhelming that it can help in so many ways. I am glad that I did it to begin with.
Let us know what you decide!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com