Wavemaker Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a redsea wavemaker for about 6 months. Got no problems with it. Seems to work as advertised, but I have a 110 gallon tall 30" tall tank. I'm trying to get as much gas exchange as possible. I took off my preskimmer box and of course that oily film appeared on the top of my tank.

I removed my wavemaker to constantly run two MJ1200's pointing at the surface, and 3 more near the bottom, two pointing up - 5 total. The point is, it hasn't resolved the oil film issue but it has definitely broken it up a bit and the tank looks clearer than ever for some reason.

Thinking about it, when wavemakers are being used, all four powerheads are not always on (duh, of course) so the water flow goes down, right? So, other than the fact that the waterflow is more random, what exactly are the benefits of a wavemaker? Just to make sure there are no dead spots? Wouldn't it be better in the long run to just keep all 5 powerheads running 24/7? I'm thinking of keeping it unhitched for good. Any opinions would be appreciated.

IMO the point of wavemakers is to simulate the waves and currents as in the sea. which in return is to help your livestock especially corals and lps, sps.

if all the PH and running then you wont have the back forth wave motion that is important. wavemakers to me is more like creating some variable enviroment like the ocean. more like exercise for the fish instead on finding a dead spot and sitting in it like a coach potatoe.

im going to buy a combo deal, waitng on some more cash, but if dont use your wavemaster, can you sell it to me?

I'm trying to get as much gas exchange as possible

If you're not already doing it, consider taking the glass cover off of your display tank and running it "topless". I started doing that recently and it helps a lot... better gas exchange, pH stability, etc. If your worried about fish jumping out, purchase or build a canopy for it.

Well, I did change some of the ph positioning, so I'm going to hook up the wavemaker again tonight and see how it works out. But, i am considering selling it if the tank doesn't look as good as it does now. I have no corals, but may someday. Personally, I'd rather have more water flow (since the tank is so deep) than random waterflow.

Back
Top Bottom