Wavemaker Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok I am planning on adding the Red Sea Wavemaker Pro to my system in the next few weeks.. I was wondering.. The system can power up to 4 pumps.. I currently have 2 Via-Aqua pumps 1 of them is a 152gph and the other is a 200gph.. My return pump from the Sump is a Rio 2100 pushing approx 400-500gph. rated at 692gph.. I am only pushing 2 feet head.. I have a variety of SPS, LPS, Softies, and Anemones.. Would it be best to add 2 more powerheads to the wavemaker or just use the 2 that I currently have in the tank??? All opinions and advice wanted..

My sump return will be in the middle of the tank while the powerheads are on each side with the overflow on 1 side.. I was thinking maybe 2 more 200gph powerheads so there is one in each corner... Is this going to be much for a 55gal tank???

TIA,
James

IMO, that won't be too much at all. I would probably add a pair of MJ900's or even 1200's. That would put you at about 20x tank size on total flow...I think reefrunner has something like 30x in his tank. What you are looking for is turbulence instead of laminar flow. Aim a couple of PH's so that they give you something like back and forth wave action. Then have the other two blowing across at an angle so that they disrupt the back and forth action when they come on. The corals will love it.

so would you put two on either end and two in the middle?

great question i was wondering on to to position my PH's also except i have 120gal

mark

***Duplicate post deleted by Bearfan***

cj10488 : I don't think that would be too much flow, as Logan said some run 20-30x turnover. I think as long as your not blowing corals off the rocks you'll be good!

ohio reefer said:
so would you put two on either end and two in the middle?

great question i was wondering on to to position my PH's also except i have 120gal
mark

I have a 110G and have a spray return bar from the sump on the top right of the tank. Then I have 2 powersweep(rotating heads) that are rated at 270GPH in each rear corner of the tank at the top. They are pointed toward the front of the tank and sweep towards the middle so the current will intersect and cause more turbulence. I know I should add a few more powerheads but I don't want to clutter my tank....thinking of maybe hooking up a couple MJ1200's to another spray bar or something?

I only have a 45 gallon and I have 1200 on each side on the top a 1200 in the middle and a 600 on the bottom left corner. My wave timer keeps them all in motion at diff times and I have no problems with my nitrates due to the currents. I have had coral blown off the rock so make sure there secure... :wink:

Ok I am going to add 2 Rio 800's so there is approx 200gph per corner and I am going to use the wavemaker to have them colide in the middle and make the current pretty chaotic.... I figure if its too much current I can always drop one of the powerheads if not more than more.. I also figure Rios are cheap enough to start out with.. If I do happen to like how everything Is setup I plan on changing all pumps over to equal gph Mags..

Thanks Again,
James

The rios hold up on the red sea wavemaster because it has soft start. The power comes on slowly not just a hard on off cycle like fliping a switch. If you ran something like a wavestrip than i would be concerned.

Well Darin Since I am getting it all from you I know who to fall back on if something fails lol ;)

James

Back
Top Bottom