Wavemaker uses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure either, but i think that the wavemaker is like a surge protector type thing where its got like 4 diff. plug outlets on it...you plug in your powerheads and whatnot to it, and each individual outlet on it goes on and off based on a timer, thus making the powerhead to go on and off, making the flow not a constant one...

i might be completely off here, so i'd wait for someone else, but i think i saw somewehr thats how they work.

there are several different devices that can be used to simulate waves in the aquarium. Some are controllers with built in wavemakers, some are stand-alone devices such as the on you linked to. Some look like a standard powerstrip but have muticycled timed outlets, some are just devices placed inline to existing plumbing which redirects the output back and forth from one side to the other (ie: SCWD's).

They arent necessary, but they will help keep detritus in suspension longer to avoid "deadspots." They can also have a positive effect on corals as well.

You also asked if you needed a sump. A sump has nothing to do with the wavemaker, the wavemaker will be utilized in the main tank. A sump is basically just used for increasing total water volume, hiding equipment etc...

You don't need one, but they are a HUGE bonus.

I had one in my 72g reef tank with 3 PHs. Loved it. Simulated 4 different levels of current flows. 2 were dedicated to reef. Has a feeding button. When pushed, it turn the PHs off while you feed for about 10 minutes.

Also, has the night flow - you push the nite button on the first night and it remembers to do itself 24 hours later, I believe the greatly reduced nitetime flow last for about 8 hrs each nite.

How much didja find it for? May consider selling mine. It's about 2 years old and in new condition (sorry for the shameless plug in this post :roll: ).

I have a CHEAP alternative that works great in my tank, that power strip version of that device. Do a search for it, I can't remember who makes it but it was only a few dollars.

It has 3 timed and 3 untimed power slots open. The timing is variable with a knob. You have to play with it to get the 'right' powerhead into the 'right' power slot, but I believe one slot is on while the other is off, and the third is on for 1.5 times as long as the the first one, length of time variable with the knob. I have LEFT power head and RIGHT power head alternate (one on, the other off) blowing INTO middle of tank, and the MIDDLE power head on the longer setting, and the blows into the front glass.

My tank is only 48" long so this works for me, longer tanks and weaker powerheads may need more.

David

Back
Top Bottom