Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-21-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Way out there question for the experts

Ok, I am a student about to graduate college and hopefully get into med school. I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks and I found this forum so I thought I'd see if anyone has any useful feedback on this. By useful I do not mean flamming or berating me. This is only an idea, but that's where all great things start. This is not a project that will take place in the next 5-10 years, it's just hypothetical. However, it is something that I am interested in pursuing in the future possibly. Ok, with that done on to the question...What is the largest saltwater pond or aquarium you have ever seen or read about. The idea here is to build a saltwater pond/aquarium in the middle of a landlocked state. There are a couple of reasons behind this. 1) I love the ocean but also love where I live and am probably here for the haul. 2) I think this could be a profitable business one day. I would like to build a saltwater pond about 100 x 100 yards and about 20 ft. deep. I would like to stock this with coral and fish from the ocean. Make it as much like the real thing as possible. Just wondering if it could be done or if it has been done before. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks.

Abbysdad24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
It's most likely been done. I've seen people with 1000 gallon sw ponds with sharks.

You could most definitely do it but just remember it's going to cost A LOT!

I'm tired of getting pointless messages. If your going to start a conversation or ask me something, keep up with it.
flamingonhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ever been to sea world?
shemp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Konrade
People do it, someone in this forum posted about the same thing and it was a pretty big thread. You would have to make the pond indoor or just have a huge i mean huge aquarium because your salinity would go crazy when it rained and all of the stuff that could get in your outdoor saltwater pond would not be could
Konrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com