Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you have only a couple of fish it might take awhile to get some ammonia. But when you do youre gonna have to do water changes to keep the ammonia down.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Skype™ to amosora
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
If you have only a couple of fish it might take awhile to get some ammonia. But when you do youre gonna have to do water changes to keep the ammonia down.
Oh i see... maybe i'll wait for another month so sad.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Once you start getting ammonia though it won't stop, so still test daily in my opinion. Once the ammonia starts then the nitrites willshow up and finally nitrates. When youre system can process the ammonia and nitrite without you having to do water changes then youre cycled.

Theres some really great articles on here regarding fish in cycling, I dont have the link but just do a quick search. It will explain it much better than I ever could. LOL
Old 07-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Once you start getting ammonia though it won't stop, so still test daily in my opinion. Once the ammonia starts then the nitrites willshow up and finally nitrates. When youre system can process the ammonia and nitrite without you having to do water changes then youre cycled.

Theres some really great articles on here regarding fish in cycling, I dont have the link but just do a quick search. It will explain it much better than I ever could. LOL
Got it & yap browsing the site for more info. Thanks a lot
Old 07-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or you can take the fish out now and see if your lfs will take them back for credit. Then you can do the fishless cycle. It could very well go faster now since you've already had some fish in your tank.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Or you can take the fish out now and see if your lfs will take them back for credit. Then you can do the fishless cycle. It could very well go faster now since you've already had some fish in your tank.
I think i cant do that coz it is more complicated now. A friend gave a cleaner & fire shrimp and i didn't say "not now" coz i don't want to (sorry) & now i can't plan of taking them coz i think i'll do them more harm. Another reason is i dont know how to transfer them without oxygen supply. I bought super battle bacteria 8000 by ocean free, should i put some? Thanks for the patience of teaching me, promise, i'll do it from now on.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... good luck on the shrimp. They are not very tolerant to ammonia in the water and could very well not make it. Be sure to acclimate them before putting them in the tank.

I recommend you keep a very close watch on your ammonia level and be ready for a lot of water changes coming up if you plan to keep the shrimp.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, shrimp are prob the most sensitive to water parameters. i always acclimate mine at least 2 hours before putting them in my tank.

i would be really ready to do a water change as soon as you see ammonia, you might very well loose the shrimp while you cycle.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes i did, i think.... but not 2 hrs. I just did it for 30 min, 15 min floating and almost 15 for the drop drop method whatever it was called. They are still alive 3 days now. I do everyday checking on the paramtrs. I put the cbs to my sub tank (pity one) afraid that he might hurt the 2 shrimp. The cleaner already change its skin today, is this bad.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually changing skins happens frequently when shrimp enter a new home. That isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com