Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Vox
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hmmm.... As I figured. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

OK, so my next question is probably a little silly, but what the heck, I'll ask anyway.

We have about.... 25 pieces of LR. And of course, its all piled on top of each other, making a gorgeous rock scape. This mantis shrimp could be hiding in a rock I can see, or indeed, a rock thats at the back of the tank that I can't see. Probably why I'm having such a great deal of trouble locating him. I've tried to convince my boyfriend (its his tank) that we need to pull out the rocks and dunk them til we get him, but he won't til I find which rock he's in.

What I'm getting at is, are there any kinds or rocks they prefer, ie with coral for instance? Do they like being low or high? I hope you see what I'm getting at. I'm trying to make finding him a little easier than standing for 2 hrs every night with a ****ed torch, listening to him mocking me with his click!!!!! Do they walk around the tank at night? Or day?

He didn't bother me too much til he ate my manderin. Now I'm very upset and concerned for the wellbeing of my other fish, and out to find him!!!

What have other you mantis shrimp discoverers found?

Thanks again!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Pistol shrimp will make a burrow under some of your rocks. They always stay down in the sand bed. I have heard that pistols will just click once or twice as well. I really doubt that they would click that many times in a row. From what you have said there is probably little doubt that it is a mantis in there somewhere.
Or 5 or 6 pistol shrimps! LOL

Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, I can confirm, at least with the tiger pistol in my tank, it only clicks once in a while. I've never heard it do more than one. Not the multiple clicks you report. As well, they burrow in the sand, so will be on the bottom of the tank.

Someone mentioned clown gobies being with pistols. That's not true. Clown gobies do not form a partnership with pistol shrimp. There is a group of gobies called shrimp gobies that do (yellow watchman in my case). Each type of watchman, or shrimp goby, has a preferred type of shrimp that it can pair up with. Like with clownfish and anemones, there is no guarantee that they will partner.

Good luck with the mantis.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
What I'm getting at is, are there any kinds or rocks they prefer, ie with coral for instance? Do they like being low or high?
Not that i know of. I kind of doubt it. They just like a nice little cave or burrow where they feel protected. I wouldn't resort to taking out all your rock yet. Depending on how big the mantis is and if you have a nice hole in one of your rocks i've seen shrimp (and fish actually) just stay in the whole if you take the rock out or even dip it in fresh. So there is a change you will go through all that and still not find him. One other thing is you really really don't wanna go sticking your fingers in and around all that rock with a mantis. If they decide to get you it will not be a pleasant experience.

Take some fishing line and tie a piece of shrimp or silver side on the end and just leave it in the tank for a while. Make sure you step back a ways because they supposedly have very good eye sight and my stay hidden with you standing in front of the tank. If you have an actual fishing pole laying around that would be even better. They are more hunter then scavenger so it would probably be even more appealing if you were able to give it a little movement.

Hope that helps
Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are not nicknamed "Thumb splitters " for nothing!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
Vox

Thanks guys!! Appreciate all your advice.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was at an aquarium store last night and they had a mantis shrimp for sale that was huge! Seriously, I've seen people at restaurantes get smaller lobster tails than this thing.

There are a lot of different types of mantis shrimp. Most are really small and fairly harmless....but that guy would take a fish no problem.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #18
Vox

We found the mantis!

Hi all,

Thought I'd update you all on our adventures here.

We've got aiptasia as well as this mantis issue, and we got a copperband butterfly to help out. Unfortunatly, the very lovely power blue tang was giving the butterfly soo much grief that it barely moved outta one corner of the tank.

Soo last weekend we thought, screw it, lets move all the rocks around, and while we're at it, take out the 2 largest rocks in the tank (which happen, of course, to be riddled with aiptasia).

We left them in a plastic tub full of tank water whilst we decided what to do with them, and then today I walked in the house only to hear a LOT of clicking coming outta the tub!

Long story short, here is a picture of our mantis, DEAD! YAY! We dosed the rock with soda water and he came out.

For anyone wondering, he was in a big solid rock, in which he'd made a very lovely hole, very much like someone had drilled into it.

Unfortunately for us, that was not the end of the clicking!

Also attached is a picture of a little pistol shrimp we found on _another_ rock. (Which was not a rock that sat in the sand, it was raised on other rocks).

And you won't believe it, the tank is STILL clicking. We are now thinking its another pistol, cause its only the occasional click, not multiple like the mantis. So we're going to *try* to ignore it.

Unfortunately, my photographic skills for the mantis were terrible, so the pic is dodgy. But he was a green colour and about 6cm long. When we saw him for the first and only time about 6 weeks ago, he was a dark red/brown (like a cockroach), so he must have molted.

Pistol shrimp's pic is much better. He was only small, about 1.5 - 2cms.

We presume the left over shrimp in the tank is the bigger version of the pistol cause it's clicking is much louder.

That's it! The tank is a mess and my BF is not looking forward to re-doing the rock layout in the tank! But it'll be minus the mantis (and the aiptasia) so we are happy!

Thanks again for all your advise everyone! Its nice to know we have the support of others out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	22796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	22797  

Old 03-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great that you got the mantis out...but too bad for the pistol shrimp. They're pretty harmless....except to the occassional snail. Looks like it was a tiger pistol. I had one until it had some problems shedding and then it died. It was awesome to see it pair up with my watchman gobie
Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice job. Sad that you couldn't throw those two in the sump but that the way these things go.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com