Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just a bit of advice.. I've always had my aquarium in the right corner of my rooms too. You should consider leaving a little more room on the left side (say, 8-10") just in case you need to reach anything on that side. It will make it much easier if you have a magnet algae cleaner so you can fit your hand back there comfortably to clean, and if you need to set up any pluming on the left side of the tank, anything magnetic (i.e. koralia powerheads), etc..

Also consider getting a good window covering to prevent direct sunlight from hitting the tank, potentially causing water temperature fluctuations.

Also thinking you may want to consider having it against the left wall instead, so power wires won't be visible running to the socket, unless there's another socket behind the stand already.

Also while you still have easy access to the recepticle, you may want to consider upgrading it to a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI’s)... the same test/reset receptacles found in the washroom and kitchen of newer homes.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to klubvibez
hey justin, thanks for all your input. i agree on all your points. remember the aquarium is not up and running, i just wanted to see how it looks (paintwise). i will definitaely be leaving room on the left side. also that window is getting a curtain sometime this week. there is an outlet behind the aquarium. i will be changing it to a GFI before i add any water. the holes for the overflow drains are so big, i had trouble finding bulkheads for them. the hole diameters are 3" each. i finally found suitable bulkheads at Buy flexible pvc pipe at FlexPVC.com PVC pipe, hose, & pvc fittings online @ wholesale discount prices (flexable) . they've got some interesting stuff. am currently considering using felxible PVC as my plumbing lines as apposed to the usual hard stuff. no more 90 degree angles to worry about.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to klubvibez
Lightbulb Update 12/16/08

I installed a GFCI outlet and put it inside a waterproof housing. There's no way any water will ever get inside.

i also found my skimmer and cleaned it, its an AquaC

originally i had planned to use the 40 gallon glass tank as a sump, but after sitting down and trying to plan where everything is going, i decided to go with an acrylic sump. found it on dr foster and smith

so here's a rather ridiculous diagram of how im planning on setting everything up. please let me know if you guys see anything im doing wrong. eventually down the line im going to add a calcium reactor, but for now here's what im planning on doing:

Tags
antique, faux, finish, restoration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com