Weird Algae on Substrate. What will eat this stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I noticed this algae growing on my substrate. It seems to be growing around the pieces of aragonite, making little green "algae balls". In my tank I have (CUC wise):

- one large turbo snail
- one scarlet hermit
- two blue leg hermits
- one red tip hermit
- 3-4 colonista snails (that I've found so far)

Nothing will touch this stuff. It seems to even roll around the tank like a tumbleweed sometimes with the current. Of note it's on a large patch of sand, about 6 inches across, and not covering the whole substrate.

What can I do about it? Will anything eat it?

img_2816078_0_039de8eed9fc0713e6bcee8166b083b0.jpg

I find it's better to find and solve the cause of the problem(most likely excess nutrients) then look for something to eat it. What are your params?

Hi Big reef

All params are great...

I've reduced my light cycle by two hours, feeding by half fir over a week now. You guys are my last hope!! :)

Amm: 0
Trites: 0
Trates: 0
Calc: 400
Akl: 11

Any ideas?

It looks like the beginning of bryopsis to me. I would have to agree with BigRed- up the water changes and cut back on feeding.

Sea slugs will eat it but this is only a short term fix as you will need to return the slug to the LFS after it eats all the algae or it will starve. Your best long term fix will be manual removal, water changes, and reduced feedings.

Thank you all so much.

From what I read this stuff is the devil. Only thing that seems to be effective is tech m.

Great hobby, but just when everything has been perfect, something like this happens. From what I read, it comes with great water along with poor water. :banghead:

Wish me luck guys!

I use nutri-seawater pre made for changes. It's a 12 gallon, so no skimmer.

If it was hair algae, the cleaning crew would eat it, right?

Not necessarily. This is why it's considered such a problem. If buying a few snails would solve the issue, no one would complain. i have found very few things eat it, and nothing eats it when it's long.

Do you think getting a magnesium test kit, some tech m, and putting levels to 1800 would work? That's the only solution I can find online...

Of note, reducing feelings and light might be somewhat effective, as it hasn't grown much, if at all, in the past week.

Yes, and you are doing the right thing. Starving it of food is a good start. You can use the tech m as well.

Back
Top Bottom