Weird clownfish behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cando

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added a long tentacle anemone to my tank and my female percula has taken to it nicely, however she now harasses the male and nips at him and will not allow him to come anywhere near her or the anemone.

Is this normal behaviour or should i be concerned?

Thanks

Is this normal behaviour or should i be concerned?

I would say it is normal behavoir. Depending on size it is possible that niether clown has actually made the change to female, and this is a dominance thing.

No the one clown is definately twice the size or more than the other and ive had them for almost two years now. I just hope adding the anemone doesnt cause some sort of territorial squabble which otherwise would not have occured?

I just hope adding the anemone doesnt cause some sort of territorial squabble which otherwise would not have occured?

It apparently has, but I don't think it will be a problem. Female clowns treat the male clowns pretty badly (my wife says that is how it should be 8O ) but they will settle down after awhaile. You may find the introduction of the anemone a precursor to breeding ;)

Well said by reefrunner. Your female has taken up a new residence, thus the male must now prove how submissive it is before being accepted into the host by the female. When the male is allowed to share her "home", they will be one step closer to potentially spawning!

my clowns act also weird one of them is territorial over the whole tank, the other only swims by the PH close to the top of the tank. He almost seems scared to come out even when eating. The scared one will come out and grab the food and go DIRECTLY back to the corner....why is this? Do you think they will work out their differences over time i plan to add an anenome for them but dont want the same hastle and dont want one to get hurt. what can i do?

my clowns decided that a feather duster and a bunch of xenia were better than the three anemones i had bought for them go figure....and the female does nip at the male many times a day.......until today anyway , i have lost the male and two other fish for some odd reason within minutes . which i did post in sick fish and coral.
i wouldnt worry to much about the nipping it will subside

My clowns also have seperated since the addtion of an anenome, how long till the female accepts the male usually

It's on her terms. Once she feels he is submissive enough, the female will usually accept the male into her territory.

Back
Top Bottom