Weird overflow problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I was removing some algea growth from my overflow tonight and then the water level in the overflow began to rise. It crested right above the elbow on the durso(megaflow kit) standpipe. Now I cant get it to handle the pump flow. I removed the standpipe and it is clear.

Not sure what happened. It seems to have a strong siphon. When I turn the pump off it does some major sucking noises when it reaches the siphon break and the return nozzle.

The overflow has always been a bit noisy and it went completely silent before the water started rising.

Anyone have any ideas on what happened?

Attachments

• overflow_628.jpg
    overflow_628.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 41
Sounds like you might have a little blockage in the air inlet on the top of your standpipe.. like a litte algae or saltcreep..

I removed the whole standpipe and all appears to be clear. Even if I crank the pump way back it keeps rising to the top of the standpipe.

I almost wonder if I have a blockage in the drain line but I know water is draining in the sump.

I agree with greenmaji. The strong siphon and sucking noises you described sound like your air inlet is restricted.

I agree with that as well but the standpipe is clear. I dismantled it and there is nothing inside.

When the tank is filling it definately does not sound like it is breathing.

Weird ...

Is it possible there is some algae floating on top of the water inside your overflow pipe (not durso)? When the water level starts to rise slowly when pumps are first turned on it would float to the top and clog the air hole. When the pumps are turned off it would go back down to the sump making you think all is clear. just a thought.

I can see the airhole at all times. I even tried blowing air in to the pipe via some tubing and once I stop, it pushes the air right back out. The standpipe itself is clear.

I took apart some of my drain line and it appears to be ok. The smallest point is where I convert the vinyl tubing to PVC. I use 1.5" PVC on down once I pass through the floor. Most of the drain is glued but with 1.5" PVC I would not expect a clog in that.

This is not a good Friday night :(

Well, mystery solved so to speak. I have no clue how they got in there but somehow 3 snails/hermits got into the durso pipe! I pulled 3 shells from the bulkhead. Man that was weird.

I have a strainer on the durso but there are holes drilled into the side of what would be the T fitting. The design I have is from the AGA kit so it is a little different than the Durso. They must have got into one of the little holes. 3 cerith snail shells. Who would have thunk it ...

Thanks for the help guys :)

At least now you will be able to sleep tonight instead of laying in bed trying to think what the problem could possibly be :)

Amen to that! LOL

My wife is relieved as well She just loves it when something happens to the tank 8O

No problem ellisz :p
I would consider covering the holes in the side of the T fitting.. from reading about durso designs the holes dont sound like there nessisary IMO. Just thinking it might save you a headache later..
Glad you figured out what it was.. I left the house a bit conserned.. I was positive something was blocking the air.. :? :p

I did not really know thw holes were there until I removed it. It has been awhile since I have had to remove the overlofw pipe.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom