weird peppermint shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just added a peppermint shrimp to my tank today, its cycled and he's the first addition aside from what came with the LR. ut all he does is rock back and forth on the underside of a rock. is this normal?

Yes it is! :wink:

There kinda boring. I have three. Try a couple cleaner shrimp next time you add shrimp. The will clean your arm, and are very active. :D

I've got 2 in a 20gal that have been there for about month now and I've seen them 1 time.

Mine has been in the tank for almost a month now and he's really getting adventurous. He'll come out with everyone else when food is put into the tank. The bottom of my tank is as fun to watch at feeding time as the water column. For the most part though he hangs under the rocks just swaying back and forth. I did get to watch him molt though. That was interesting!

The cleaner shrimp are by far more fun to watch though I have yet to get close enough to one for him to offer to clean my arm!

mine also hasn't touched any of the apastia (spelling) i thought peps were suppose to goble them up?

i had mine for a couple days before it started eating the aptasia.

Mine's eaten all of mine. It took it a couple of days to decide to roam the tank but once it did, it made short work of it all. There was one large one that it took its time with (took several days for it to disappear, but it got noticably smaller every day). There's another little one that I found when I moved my rocks around the other day, but I'm sure it won't last for long.

"They" say that there's a 50/50 chance that you'll get a peppermint who's interested in eating aptasia. Hopefully you got one that finds the stuff a delicasy.

Mine sits behind a piece of rock, and does nothing. Once in awhile I see him under that rock swaying, but thats it. He did successfully molt the other day so that's good news.

50/50 chance eh? hmmmm. well ill give this guy a few days to settle in and get his apetite back and see what he does. if he still does nothing, maybe i'll just go with "joe's juice" anyone know how that stuff works and if its dangerous to use around other corals? and how do you stick it with a needle? mine suck back into the rock if i touch them.

ok, so i covered my flashlight with plastic wrap that i colored red with a marker last night in hopes of seeing any movement whatsoever, and to my surprise.... my shrimp was a psycho! he was all over the place! prancing around the sand scurring up the glass and doing the back stroke through the current the PH makes. he was so fast! he looked like he was having the time of his life! and this morning i noticed that some of my aptasia looks a bit thinner too! so maye he does like it!

ok, so i just got home from the LFS, and realized why my shrimp isn't eating my aiptasia.... its because he's a stupid camel shrimp! i even asked the guy when he picked him out, i said, hang on a second that doesn't look like a pep. shrimp, but the moron fed me some stupid line about "oh he just looks lighter cause he just molted". i guess it's my fault for believing him though. :? still makes me mad. i'm gonna try and take him back tomorrow and see if they'll swap him for a pep. what do i do with him if they won't though? i hear that camel's are bad and they eat corals, is that true? ps, i got my first fish yesterday, 2 baby percs they're so cute! only about 5 weeks old!

Back
Top Bottom