Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2003, 03:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Weird Question

Right now we have one of those paper blue backings for the back of our tank held on by tape, it's a pain, especially if water happens to fall in between it, any suggestions on alternative things so that I don't have to constantly take the backing off, wipe it down and wipe the glass down inbetween all the hardware that is back there? I know someone must have an easier way. I know it's a little bit late in the game to be asking now should have thought of it before doing the whole tank. Or do I just keep doing what I've been doing?

Old 01-12-2003, 03:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Some people paint the back of their tanks. Some acrylic tanks are built with solid color back's.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where could we get some of that kind of paint? What type is ok to use?
Hardware store or Craft store?

Thanks again FF!! :P
Old 01-12-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It can be pretty difficult to paint a tank that is already set up. When I was painting the backs of my tanks I used a regular spray paint, in the color you want, I typically used the paint they used to paint engines. I would put saran wrap over the top of the tank and on the sides and front and I would mask the frame.

I have also heard of people applying the backings with vasaline. It will make it stick to the tank and is also waterproof. I have never done this and have no idea how it would look or how it would work out.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:03 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I don't put anything on the back of my all glass tank. It is against a white wall. There are actinic lights toward the back of the tank and so light the back of the wall somewhat. Between the LR and the coraline, You don't see much of it anyway. I suggest more LR to obscure the view.

Mark
Old 01-12-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
my tank is 4ft wide, I picked up 2 really cheap mirrors. Then I took velcro and stuck it to the tank and I am really pleased with the look. I have also convinced myself that it helps reflect the light in the tank...plus, I can always see what is going on behind the live rock. I too, got frustrated with
the vinyl type backings.

Tags
weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com