Weird question but I think you guys can help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my college composition II class we have to write an argumentative essay and I decided that I wanted the topic of my essay to be on the importance of coral reefs on marine and human life and preservation.
I need 8-10 sources, 5 of which need to be scholarly.
I'm sure some of you are very knowledgeable on the subject,
can you provide me with any links or book titles to point me in the right direction?
Do you think this is a good topic to write the paper on? If this doesn't work I'm going to write it on puppy mills.

Btw if it's a great article but it isn't scholarly, go ahead and post the link anyway because I will still be able to use it.
Thanks to anyone that can help :)

Or what about this, destructive fishing techniques and their effects on marine life?
Like cyanide and explosives? I'm not sure there is enough information available to write a paper with hard evidence, I'll probably just stick with the original topic but just throwing it out there

I had to write a 15 page paper (APA format) on Bramante and a single sculpture he did. Trust me when I say you can always find enough info. Good luck.

Lol thanks XD I have no idea how long this paper needs to be, she just told us today to start deciding on a topic and locating sources. I'm guessing if I need 8-10 its going to be lengthy though

With destructive fishing you can say how america has all the laws on how to fish tuna where other countries just use fishing nets that destroy other organisms in the process and have no regulations

A little off from the reefs but you could do invasive aquatic species especially in Florida which is causing havoc on fishing.

Google scholar may be a good place to start. I would guess that your college or university also has database access which is probably superior to google scholar.

Not sure I fully understand your original topic idea. What do you want to focus on? You topic seems a bit nebulous.

bioteacher said:
Google scholar may be a good place to start. I would guess that your college or university also has database access which is probably superior to google scholar.

Not sure I fully understand your original topic idea. What do you want to focus on? You topic seems a bit nebulous.

Teacher recommended ohiolink.

The original topic, I was thinking along the lines of how extreme harvesting of coral is affecting marine life. Also human life, like for example, the erosion on barrier reefs that line coastal areas.

datkush said:
Wow that's really sad :(
Why aren't more saltwater fish captive bred? People just don't know how to breed them?

They are very hard to breed. Their mating routines and ways of hatching eggs need so much room it cant be done in an aquarium. :/ except a select few like clowns, cardinals, a few gobys, etc.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
They are very hard to breed. Their mating routines and ways of hatching eggs need so much room it cant be done in an aquarium. :/ except a select few like clowns, cardinals, a few gobys, etc.

That's too bad :( people are just taking advantage of that to make money since saltwater fish are generally more expensive

Yahoo news ran an article last week on the decline of clown fish as well. Apparently they are very close to entering the endangered list (yeah right we think). They said the fall of the clownfish is pixar's finding nemo and with it brought a whopping estimated 40 million reef harvested clowns since the release.

Everyone wants a clown after seeing the movie, but most are either uneducated or incompetent and cannot properly care for the fish. The story went further to say they estimate an 80% mortality rate do to this very issue. People throw them in freshwater tanks thinking it will work out.

All i can say is... Ignorance is mind blowing!! Lol

Readingexcalibur said:
Yahoo news ran an article last week on the decline of clown fish as well. Apparently they are very close to entering the endangered list (yeah right we think). They said the fall of the clownfish is pixar's finding nemo and with it brought a whopping estimated 40 million reef harvested clowns since the release.

Everyone wants a clown after seeing the movie, but most are either uneducated or incompetent and cannot properly care for the fish. The story went further to say they estimate an 80% mortality rate do to this very issue. People throw them in freshwater tanks thinking it will work out.

All i can say is... Ignorance is mind blowing!! Lol

Omg...you're kidding me, people actually try putting them in freshwater tanks? Can they get any more stupid?
Holy crap

Plz do me a favor blow that up make it a big deal I'm trying to but I don't think I have the right pipelines to cause an uproar but at a college setting you might be able to start something. :) maybe some good out of this

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to check those links out today. Yes, I'm hoping that my paper could help inform people who don't know and maybe, hopefully, someone else will want to change it too

Back
Top Bottom