Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-12-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Weird stuff from fuge

when i turn off the return pump from my fuge for a water change and restart it again after adding the new water I get weird particulate stuff being blown into my tank. The stuff looks like little white shards, some like little feathers. Any ideas as to what it could be? I don't see the particles in the fuge before adding the water and starting the pump. And I am using water from the lfs. Ideas?

whitetiprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I get the same thing when I restart my system from my wet/dry. The last time I did a water change I vacuumed out the wet/dry. It has taken about 3 weeks, but they're back. No idea if it is beneficial or something that you'd want to get rid of though.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I get that too. It's stuff that's in the water lines. I'm going to re-plumb my returns soon, using pvc instead of the flex. I'm planning on some unions so I can take it apart 2x a year to clean it out.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to re-plumb my returns soon, using pvc instead of the

That's a good idea.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to markh30
I get the same thing. I figured it was gunk accumulating in the rigid return line. One day I ran the line under my kitchen faucet. Low and behold, all this gunk came flying out. With my new tank setup, I was thinking of doing PVC as well. Definitely a good idea. The only drawback to that is there's not much room for play.
markh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Probably Sponges that have built up in your plumbing. When the water stops they expand pretty quickly and then when the water gets going again the current tears them apart. Harmless stuff.
If you wake up breathing CONGRATULATIONS!!! You get another chance to do it right.
Bang Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I always thought it was from the feather dusters that grow on my pump. Last night I installed a new one, have to see if I notice it tonight when I do a w/c.

Alex n Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com