Weird stuff from fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
when i turn off the return pump from my fuge for a water change and restart it again after adding the new water I get weird particulate stuff being blown into my tank. The stuff looks like little white shards, some like little feathers. Any ideas as to what it could be? I don't see the particles in the fuge before adding the water and starting the pump. And I am using water from the lfs. Ideas?

I get the same thing when I restart my system from my wet/dry. The last time I did a water change I vacuumed out the wet/dry. It has taken about 3 weeks, but they're back. No idea if it is beneficial or something that you'd want to get rid of though.

I get that too. It's stuff that's in the water lines. I'm going to re-plumb my returns soon, using pvc instead of the flex. I'm planning on some unions so I can take it apart 2x a year to clean it out.

I get the same thing. I figured it was gunk accumulating in the rigid return line. One day I ran the line under my kitchen faucet. Low and behold, all this gunk came flying out. With my new tank setup, I was thinking of doing PVC as well. Definitely a good idea. The only drawback to that is there's not much room for play.

Probably Sponges that have built up in your plumbing. When the water stops they expand pretty quickly and then when the water gets going again the current tears them apart. Harmless stuff.

I always thought it was from the feather dusters that grow on my pump. Last night I installed a new one, have to see if I notice it tonight when I do a w/c.

Back
Top Bottom