Weird stuff on sand bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonny_raff

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my reef tank up for about 5 months now and all of a sudden i am getting brown debris and a wierd purplish web-like subsatnce of the sand... all my parameters are where they should be! Also a brown algea substance is growing on my rocks!!!! Please help!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396398707.348032.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396398722.726390.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396398745.180376.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396398755.302783.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396398769.130294.jpg

I had something similar could be the same thing red slime algae took a month to clear it, I sucked it up with gravel cleaner comes back pretty quick though but will go eventually, caused by high nitrate levelsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396435646.840736.jpg

It's an algae bloom. I had the same thing after sever months of being set up. Do PWC's and cut back on your lighting.

Well, the pictures have a lot of noise, so it's kind of hard to tell. From your description it sounds like you have:
1. A diatom bloom
2. Red Slime/ Cyanobacteria

I dont think that it is red slime... its not redish its purple looking and not bright

Slime can be purplish as well. Can it scrape off the rocks? If it comes off easily then its cyano, red slime.

What type of water do you use for water changes?

Well sadly i had no clue about the dangers of tap water... well i used tap for a while and about a week ago something went wrong and the tank "crashed"... i lost all my coral and two tangs! Now i use RO/DI water!!! And its just on the sand!!! Not on the rocks at all

Im not sure how much exactly but i have 2 powerheads and 2 hang on the back filters... its a 55 gallon

Back
Top Bottom