welcome home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i have crabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i came home today after work to find that ive lost the battle to ich and now have to fish out my flame angle and valintini puffer
i suspected the puffer was gonna die after becoming much worse 2 or 3 days ago sill dam hard to bury your friends

ive lowered the sg to 1.012 and has been thier for a few days took about a week to get thier in a 130g im 3 days into paraguard if anyone has any comments on that

nope hear they dont help much anyway

but if i understand at 1.012 ich should not be able to reproduce so it should get better if they can cope with what they have already true?

im mostly concerned about my cowfish wich is covered quit bad diein then gassin the rest of the fish he is showing signs of improvement but hasnt eatin in 4 or 5 days wich is not good im shure

Just keep an eye on the cowfish as it will produce toxins in the tank if it should die. I'm not sure about the 1.012 ich theory. Steve S may be able to chime in on that one.

Mike

I was under the impression (from my experience with hypo) that the SG had to be lower than that to stop the cycle. I brought mine down to 1.009 and never let it get higher than 1.010.

Sorry for your losses. Adding selcon, garlic and fresh ground ginger to your fish feedings will help boost their immune systems though. That might give them a leg up while you battle ich.

Good luck.

Phyl said:
I was under the impression (from my experience with hypo) that the SG had to be lower than that to stop the cycle. I brought mine down to 1.009 and never let it get higher than 1.010.
(y) (y)

The salinity must be no higher than 16 ppt, preferabley 14 ppt to compensate for evaporation. The lowered salinity interupts the reproductive stage. 1.012 will not be effective if using a hydrometer. They are usually out a few points. If so, lower to 1.009.

Cheers
Steve

i have crabs said:
thanks i bought a refractometer
Then simpley target 14 ppt and you should be fine. Just remember that you must also remove any inverts, they will not survive the hypo process. Keep enough SW prepared and ready for water changes and check alk and pH at least daily. Have a good marine buffer at the ready incase the pH is low.

Cheers
Steve

inverts and as much rock as possible were put in the 20g qt and doing fine last week i also have water and buffer here as i would guess adding tons of fresh water would drop ph like crazy

Back
Top Bottom