Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2004, 11:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wellwater for topoffs...Good? Bad?

What is your take on using well water from under my property for fishtank top-offs?

I know I should use RO water, but can't buy a RO unit yet. I know I could go to Walmart, etc... But I'm curious, would regular tapwater be better than wellwater? Since it's natural water under my property, I was thinking this might be better...

TIA

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

think most is really high in iron and other metals which isnt good !! fish only tank ya might get away with it but in the long term you will cause more internal damage in the fish !! reef tank i wouldnt at all !!

Old 07-14-2004, 11:36 PM   #3
steve-s

Depends on the well but in general it's a pretty bad idea. It will normaly be quite high in metals, silicates and phosphates from ground water. Even if it tests fine for human consumption, it can still be a rather large headache where water quality and algae issues are concerned.

Has a lab grade analysis ever been done?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-14-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Has a lab grade analysis ever been done?
No, I have thought of having this done, though. I've been using this water for my lawn and plants only (LAPO - lol ). I think I was trying to become a little too lazy when it comes to getting water. What I might do is make the trip to Walmart and buy their RO water. It's the best move, and I can do it until I buy a RO unit.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks,
Mike
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:36 AM   #5

I been using well water for years.. I have 3 FW... 1 FO SW...and 1 Reef... Never had any probs.. I live on a farm... Of course I use a water conditioner from the LFS for the tanks... Some conditions will detox heavy metals and all...Guess maybe I just been lucky but it has been like 10-11years I been doing it..So who knows.. And though many say algae is an issue...I haven't had a prob. with that either.. Guess its idividual experiences and some are just hear say..
Old 07-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

boardsurfer check your local forum mabe someone is close that has an ro unit ya can become pals with and help out with replacement filters i do that with a guy not to far from me and it works out good for both of us ! just a though ! be cheaper than buying it in the long run !!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com