Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been doing alot of research on fuges and well these are only worth while if you actually want to keep a critter that needs one then go for it. but a fuge should not be kept as a algae scrubber because it will really just cause high nutrients in the tank and cause other issues. I wanted to keep a fuge for pods but then I was reading and found out this is a terrible Idea. Pods need high nutrient water to flourish and corals like low nutrient water so if you want pods you should create them in an entirely different system. also its just another place that you have to maintain and clean. I use my area of the sump that is meant for a fuge for a settling area. its bare bottom just like my main tank but with low flow this way a majority of my detritus will settle in this area and ill be able to easily siphon it out.

Extremely Informative link will take some reading time however...http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...=Discussion%3A

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Anyone have a picture of their converted wet/drys setups to a sump/skimmer setup? c That might help the OP wrap her head around what everyone is saying. LOL

Thanks guys

Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Heh, that was what I was about to ask for. I've been researching a lot on how to convert, but many people don't have pictures or even video to describe what they did. I've looked at a lot of diagrams on how they should be set up, or even an entire different set up with a 20g like you had suggested Carey. I think either way I do it I'm going to have to insert some baffles. I'm so excited to get this done! I've read over and over that the bio-balls create a nitrate haven. lol. I want more zoas!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When your tank is ready I'll take you out for the afternoon to my coral/fish spots that I do every month. LOL Zooa's are some of the easiest, hardy cheapest as well as colorful corals you can want. Great beginner coral.

You might want to look at some mushrooms too, another great coral and fast growing and colorful too.

Did you get the link I posted on FB on the skimmer? thats' like the cheapest best skimmer you can get. It also comes in an in sump model if you do go with a tank as a sump.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #15

I actually didn't get that post. Mushrooms sound like fun! My water is getting better by the day. I'm wondering if it just hadn't completely cycled? Trites are gone, hardly any phosphates, and trates have started to go down as well. Still going to do a water change tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
I have been doing alot of research on fuges and well these are only worth while if you actually want to keep a critter that needs one then go for it. but a fuge should not be kept as a algae scrubber because it will really just cause high nutrients in the tank and cause other issues. I wanted to keep a fuge for pods but then I was reading and found out this is a terrible Idea. Pods need high nutrient water to flourish and corals like low nutrient water so if you want pods you should create them in an entirely different system. also its just another place that you have to maintain and clean. I use my area of the sump that is meant for a fuge for a settling area. its bare bottom just like my main tank but with low flow this way a majority of my detritus will settle in this area and ill be able to easily siphon it out.

Extremely Informative link will take some reading time however...Current Discussion: Refugiums - The Reef Tank
Now, I'll admit that I did not read all 15 pages of that thread, but I have to say that I've never seen anyone claim refugiums cause high nutrients. Not once.
I can also say that since I have added mine, my Nitrates and Phosphates have dropped to have what they were (and they were pretty low to begin with) and are both rapidly approaching zero.
I have also seen an explosion of copepods and amphipods both in the fuge and in the DT. More than double in a couple weeks.
Pods don't need high nutrient water, they just need food, be it in the form of phytoplankton, or detritus from fish food and waste. I spent weeks researching the refugium concept and never heard anyone say they cause high nutrients or are no good for pods.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #17

Yea, I thought it was kind of strange about what they were saying about fuges. I've always thought they were only beneficial? I do have pods already on my main rock that I transferred that had coralline and my zoas on it. They've now started to spread quite rapidly over my other rocks, which is awesome! Now if I could just get my trates to go down my water would be perfect!
Carey- I did check out that skimmer. We went to some LFS yesterday and they all wanted upwards of $200 or so for their skimmers in store....and you know our LFS so I'm most likely not going with what they suggest. lol. *sigh* I wish my plants out front would grow some money for me! LOL
Old 04-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would go with the eshopps, under $150. That LFS as you know is relatively clueless.

You know I wouldnt steer you wrong. I use the eshopps skimmers myself. If you had the money I would suggest a reef octopus skimmer but I know times are tough. lol

Tags
dry, refugium, sump, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com