Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wet/Dry converted to sump/refugium?

Hello there!
I'm kind of new at this, but I was wondering about converting my current wet/dry setup to a sump/refugium/protein skimmer setup. I've done a bit of research, and it seems the wet/dry is not going to be sufficient enough to have any corals in my tank. I currently have a smaller zoa but its growth rate hasn't been much of anything. I was hoping that I could use what I currently have to get this converted. I do have some extra 10 g tanks as well as one 20g tall tank, but would it be possible to do it with what I've got already? I'll post pics later when I get home to give you a better idea.

Thoughts?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Pics would help. When it comes to making your own sump, most like to use long tanks to get more room. Without knowing anything about your setup, can't really speak on most things with this. But if what you aren't able to use what you already have, the 20 gal might be your best bet due to it being larger...though with it being tall...whichever tank is longer and gives you more room to work in all honesty even though more water is always better.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Lightbulb

Here's photos of my Niger Trigger and Fu Manchu. Also the wet/dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	647.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	86852   Click image for larger version

Name:	625.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	86853  

Click image for larger version

Name:	634.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	86854  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That would be ok, but the only way you'll have a fuge in that would be if you put it in the first chamber and had the skimmer in the last chamber.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
That would be ok, but the only way you'll have a fuge in that would be if you put it in the first chamber and had the skimmer in the last chamber.
Agreed. You'll also have to mount some sort of light for the macro algae and still have the water enter that chamber. Could be done though.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi Anna! lol

Without getting too crazy I would find a spare 20 long tank or even a 20 regular and make that youre sump. Input on the left through a filter sock and then either into a skimmer section or the water can go through a fuge with macro algae which can help with nitrates.

You've seen my setups, it's pretty easy actually. The new 60g sump is just a 14g tank that I will have a filter sock and a skimmer in then the return pump. No fuge on that one. lol But even a bsaic setup I think will serve you better than the wet dry, especially if you want corals at some point.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #7

I definitely have an extra light, would just need to get the clip. Carey - you've seen the 20 g tall tank...not sure that would be very helpful. I'll probably have to end up putting acrylics in it but even so, not sure with it's width and depth that it'll fit much. Isn't the skimmer supposed to go before the fuge? Would it be ok for me to have the fuge first in my current wet/dry?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm working with 20 inches of length for the 60g sump. It will be a tight fit but everything should fit in. I'm also not doing acrylic baffles, I'm just going to let it go without separation. BUT I have an ato already so I can maintain the water height, very important when using a skimmer.

I've seen a few people go with the fuge in a different order of placement, not sure how that would work out but it might be ok.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I converted a WD to sump by using a stand alone skimmer outside the sump. The Reef Octopus SWC outside sump configuration. My supply pump to the skimmer is in first chamber pumping to skimmer and return is to first chamber via Hot Tub flex pipe. Works fine.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh and I do have a small fuge. I placed one baffle to seperate the first chamber from the return pump chamber. The other baffle is permanent one in the WD. The center section between the two serves as my fuge. Not very big though. about 12x11 inces.

Tags
dry, refugium, sump, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com