Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, I think that I am leaning towards getting a AquaC EV-180, and upgrade to the Mag12 as a return pump to the tank.

Would I be able to re-use my existing Mag7 as the input to the skimmer? or would I need to upgrade that pump too?

Old 02-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

According to AquaC's website, they say that a Mag 7 is an appropriate sized pump for that unit. But I do know that most people like to "oversize" the pumps on skimmers as well. So some may tell you that a bigger pump is necessary.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:04 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
The Mag 7 will work with the EV 180. You may not get the maximum performance that the skimmer is capable of, but I think it would be sufficient for a your tank. I also think that since you have the Mag 7 already, it would be hard to warrant spending the $$ for a new pump to run the skimmer. You can always upgrade it later if you see the need.
The protein skimmer basically generates lots of tiny bubbles that attract the dissolved organic molecules in the water. The DOC's cling to the microbubbles and are carried up into the collection cup in the form of a dry foam. That's the short version anyway. If you have ever been to the beach and seen the waves lapping up on the shore with a layer of foam on top, you have seen natures version of the skimmer at work.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #14

So, would that mean to use the existing Mag 7 to pump water from the sump into the skimmer and then maybe use an upgraded pump (Mag 12 or similar) to pump water from the sump back up to the tank?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #15

Would this be a basic enough picture of what I should be expecting it to look like?

I hope the picture gets posted...
Old 02-27-2004, 11:14 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
That's it...you're right on track. What size U tube and drain line does your overflow have? We need to be sure it's large enough to handle the flow from the Mag 12.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #17

Glad to hear that.. It all seems to be making a little more sense now. I was just unsure about the skimmer dumping the water back into the sump again. I guess that I could try to set it up to dump it out into a different partition of the sump...

Regarding water flow... the U Tube is almost 1" OD and the drain line is 1" OD. I believe that a larger pump should be fine, because it seems that the siphon is currently pulling more than is being pumped into it.

I was checking out these overflow boxes:
http://marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1519

Do they really work to keep the siphon going after a power loss?
or is it really the Vacuum Pump that gets the siphon going again?:
http://marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KTALP

I have the Mag Pump currently running on a UPS incase of power loss.

Cheers!
Old 02-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #18

I just found somewhere that I can pick up a Euro-Reef CS6-1 for $299. Although it is only rated for 100G, do you think this would work on my 125G?

Tags
dry, filter, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com