wet/dry filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powderbluetang

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was wondering what are the pros and cons of a wet/dry filter for s/w verses a canister. and will i need a filter if i am using live rock.

With a sufficient amount of LR and good water flow that will be enough filtration. The canister could still be used for occassional use of media but I would not suggest buying one if you haven't already. The wet/dry would actually be better if you went with a plain sump instead. The rock would be more than sufficient if at least 1lb/gal. More if you can afford it. Dry base rock is also a good alternative to LR and it can be mixed, 50/50, 80/20 or all dry. It's really your choice.

What is the end goal for your tank, FOWLR or reef?

Cheers
Steve

Then I would definately suggest stearing clear of both the W/D and the canister for primary filtration. The LR will be much more beneficial. As I said, the sump can be incorporated instead which will house unsightly equipment, increase water volume and can also be a good place for dosing necessary (tested) elements.

Cheers
Steve

Wet/dry System

I am confused! I just upgraded to a 125gallon tank and purchased a wet/dry system for my filter. I have about 50lbs of live rock now, and just perchased another 45lbs. I will place this in the tank in about 1 -3 weeks depends on testing levels. I also use a protein skimmer. Is this setup going to be OK?

W/D's are best for FO tanks where there is minumal surface area for bacteria to colonize and perform nitrification. With an FOWLR or reef, rely on the LR as the primary filtration source. If you wish to use the W/D that's fine, just be very mindful of feedings. If you want, the biomedia in the W/D can easily be removed and just use it as a sump. It will work either way, one is just more efficient than the other.

Cheers
Steve

canisters can handle a higher bio-load. and if you find that your nitrates are running to high, you can take out your carbon and just use it to keep the water flow high.

Thanks for the advise on the W/D's. I did get my 45lbs of live rock yesterday, and started the curing process. This will take my tank to about 90-95lbs of LR.

That amount of LR here in the UK would cost you the equivalent of $300 :roll:

Back
Top Bottom