Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

wet/dry filters

i was wondering what are the pros and cons of a wet/dry filter for s/w verses a canister. and will i need a filter if i am using live rock.

Old 06-06-2004, 01:31 AM   #2
steve-s

With a sufficient amount of LR and good water flow that will be enough filtration. The canister could still be used for occassional use of media but I would not suggest buying one if you haven't already. The wet/dry would actually be better if you went with a plain sump instead. The rock would be more than sufficient if at least 1lb/gal. More if you can afford it. Dry base rock is also a good alternative to LR and it can be mixed, 50/50, 80/20 or all dry. It's really your choice.

What is the end goal for your tank, FOWLR or reef?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-09-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

fish and reef sry for the late post but i was away for the weekend and week
Old 06-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
steve-s

Then I would definately suggest stearing clear of both the W/D and the canister for primary filtration. The LR will be much more beneficial. As I said, the sump can be incorporated instead which will house unsightly equipment, increase water volume and can also be a good place for dosing necessary (tested) elements.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-10-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wet/dry System

I am confused! I just upgraded to a 125gallon tank and purchased a wet/dry system for my filter. I have about 50lbs of live rock now, and just perchased another 45lbs. I will place this in the tank in about 1 -3 weeks depends on testing levels. I also use a protein skimmer. Is this setup going to be OK?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:12 PM   #6
steve-s

W/D's are best for FO tanks where there is minumal surface area for bacteria to colonize and perform nitrification. With an FOWLR or reef, rely on the LR as the primary filtration source. If you wish to use the W/D that's fine, just be very mindful of feedings. If you want, the biomedia in the W/D can easily be removed and just use it as a sump. It will work either way, one is just more efficient than the other.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
canisters can handle a higher bio-load. and if you find that your nitrates are running to high, you can take out your carbon and just use it to keep the water flow high.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advise on the W/D's. I did get my 45lbs of live rock yesterday, and started the curing process. This will take my tank to about 90-95lbs of LR.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
expensive isn't it.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Was not too bad. I ordered 45lbs for $79.00. I was excited to see the quality of the rock when I got it.

Tags
dry, filter, filters, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com