Wet / Dry help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok.... so I bought the new 60 gal tank with the built-in wet/dry on the back. It's got an overflow that leaks into the back where the wet/dry, protein skimmer etc is located. My questions are these

1. The water level in the tank sits about half an inch below the top. Is that kewl or should it be higher??? I'd like it higher.

2. The bio balls ( I know, I'll need LR later) seem submerged. Isn't the water supposed to trickle down???

It's funny because with the first question I'm requesting info on adding water, but with the second I'm guess I have too much water in the wet/dry.

One other thing.... the pump that returns the water to the tank is a Rio 1700 which pumps 600gph. Do I really need the second powerhead in the tank that I've added myself?

The depth of your overflow will change the amount of water in the sump. The deeper you have the preskimmer, the more water in the sump and vice-versa. Raising the preskimmer will lower the water level in your sump and raise it in your display.

You do not want to completely fill the display. You want to allow a little overflow room on the off chance the siphon breaks and you pump the sump dry. I keep my water level just far enough above the top frame that I can't see a gap between the frame and the water.

Generally recomend turning a tank over 10-15 times an hour. If you are getting a true 600gph, you are right at the lower side. Take into account you lose a lot of water flow if you are pumping uphill, like from a sump to a tank. If the pump is only rated for 600gph, you'll probably get 3-400 by the time you get to the tank itself.

Even if you have enough flow thru your pump, and i agree w/indy. you should still have a ph or 2 running. DOC can build up on the surface of the tank. A ph aimed slightly towards the surface will keep doc's from forming, and allow your skimmer to do it's job better.

Congrates on the new purchase! :D Post some pics of the set-up so we can all see...Lando

Thanks for the help. I'll be posting pics soon..... one thing though... it said in the instructions with the skimmer to have the cup 1 1/4" above the water line.... so would it be ok to raise it to adjust the water in the wet/dry???

I put some carbon in a few "filter" bags into the wet/dry... this should be alright correct????

Gotcha on the nitrates.... but man i just bought a $500 tank.... it's gonna take a little while for the LR funds to accumulate.

The tank can be found at www.advanceaquatanks.com ..... I picked it up at the LFS

Back
Top Bottom