wet/dry overflow noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jr5018

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok 55 gal tank 60lbs lr 20lbs base rock 100lbs southdown seeded with about 20 lbs ls got fish and the whole 9 yards 2 anenomes everything doing great. however do any of you have any suggestions on making my overflow quieter it is a "U" type overflow with a prefilter i take the prefilter out and it gets a liitle quieter but gheeze this is insane i want the prefilter in there how do i get this thing to get a little more silent? I am not looking for perfection here but it is loud.

do a search on making durso standpipes. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago with links and photos

And remove the prefilter. You don't need it and you don't really want to recycle your tank water 10 times an hour through a detritus packed prefilter.
Try the Durso or modified durso if space is limited. I'm using the modified version (have three of them) and am happy with them.

Wonderful I have taken all the info on the durso and made my own slightly different, but the same end effect thankyou all for the help.

ok so i have found that if you have a hob overflow if you puit a small peace of tubeing in the drain it will prevent all noise. i will post a pic later tonight after the cam get power.

here's the device I used - ran it through the top of my prefilter and into the standpipe - totally fixed suction noise. The picture doesn't quite show you the important part - the bottom section of tubing that runs throught prefilter is cut at an angle at the bottom so adequate air passes through...

Note: This particular device will only work if I use my prefilter as the prefilter is what supports it... I just clean my prefilter when it gets dirty.

The only reason I hesitate to pull my prefilters out is cause every day that I check them I find beneficial pods and worms stuck to them that I put back into the tank. They would surely perish if I took out the prefilters.

Take them out anyway?

yep i had what jmc has. but i found that i was cleaning it a lot. but now i have found that just some air line hoseing works just the same and you dont have to clean it and you cant kill pod with it. here is a link to the pic i just took of what i did to keep it quite. it works very well. the only sound i get now it the sound of the pump. here

WarOrks15 -

What do you have in your wet/dry canister? Bioballs, other media, or nothing? I've got Bioballs but here some bad stuff about them...

-jmc

well if you take a look in ym gallery i think i have a pic of it. all i have is the skimmer a heater about 3 inches of lssome live rock and a poly filter. and i really big sponge. that is it.

Back
Top Bottom