wet dry vs. sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I keep reading how wet dry's are not the way to go. Mine seems to be doing great and I don't want to mess up the way things are going now, scared I guess. But what exactly would I notice if I did switch to a sump? How hard are they to run? What do they require? Can I convert my wet dry into a sump? I thought I read somewhere that you could. Also, are they better for reefs?

TIA

A sump is simply a wet/dry with out the bioballs. A wet/dry is basicly a sump with a chamber dedicated to bioball media to have water trickling over it.

As you can see both are very simular and their overall operation is the same when it comes to keeping it filled from evaporation, etc.

The theory with the wet/drys is that the highly oxygenated bioball area will promote nitrates. If you have a DSB its possible the DSB and the nitrate capacity of the bioballs will cancel eachother out. If you want to convert the wet/dry to a sump then you can slowly remove the bioball media over a few weeks time. Then extend the drain line so its not splashing and making so much noise due to the removal of the bioball media.

That is preety much what I did with mine. I removed the bioballs and replaced them with 30lbs of LR rubble. I keep the water line well above the rubble so it is always completely covered.

I was scared into making the change. After horror stories of the bioballs poisoning tanks fast from small power outages, I simply removed my bioballs and placed a skimmer (sea clone I think) in the larger side. I did leave the sponge that was inbetween the two chambers in place and also the changable pad which I replaced when needed as it removed a lot of debris.

I never had a problem with my tank and it was up for a few years like this. We had power outages (we're in florida) a lot and as long as the media is fully submerged the die off is much delayed, unlike the case with the bioballs.

I say take them out unless you have a power back up for your tank.

Kimberly

Back
Top Bottom