Wet/dry with lr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sleeperr34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I am running a simple wet/dry with bio balls for my 55g. I was thinking about taking the balls out and in there place putting live rock in. So my question is this a good Idea or bad? And if good then is it ok to leave the trickle effect on it with the water lvl being as low as it is or do I raid the water lvl to match the lr I put in. One worry I have is right now if the power goes out my wet dry will fill up close to the half way mark. So am worried if I raise the water lvl to much and power goes out I'll have a nice little flood on my hands. Lol

for live rock to do its job it has to be submerged in water, letting air get to the rock will kill any life in it or atleast it will start to die off.

That's what I figured. Was even thinking about doing like half lr and the top half boi balls and only raising the water lvl a little. Just enough to keep my lr under water.

Rough drawing stuck at work so best I can do.

Attachments

• image-3143886397.jpg
    image-3143886397.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 152
bioballs are a trap dor debris which will eventually turn into a nitrate factory, so if you're going to go with live rock then i suggest completly gettign rid of the bioballs and goign with a natural filktration, aka refugium with micro and macro algaes. you just might have to rebuild your sump to do this

Yea that's what I was afraid of. But will the wet/dry work fine though and when I get sonemone I can build a better set up. Just didn't want to waist the money I spent on it.

the wet dry will work for fish only systems, but when it comes to a reef i wouldn't recommend it, especially not with the more demanding corals. leathers and shroomies will do fine

That's good. Was going to go reef. Have some polyps and mushrooms in there now. But got a white spotted puffer now so out of the reef idea now. But if something changes I'll make sure to up grade the filtration for it Ty for the help.

Sleeperr34 said:
That's good. Was going to go reef. Have some polyps and mushrooms in there now. But got a white spotted puffer now so out of the reef idea now. But if something changes I'll make sure to up grade the filtration for it Ty for the help.

If the only choice right now is wet/dry then use it. But don't purchase no Frags/corals until you get your self a sump/Refugium
Nitrates must be at 0 for SPS, anemone,LPS .... Or nomore then 5. And Using a wet/dry filter will keep it at 40-50

well heres the thing, with a good size fuge, you can keep the puffer in there as it is a good refuge place for those that can't be kept in your main display tank

If the only choice right now is wet/dry then use it. But don't purchase no Frags/corals until you get your self a sump/Refugium
Nitrates must be at 0 for SPS, anemone,LPS .... Or nomore then 5. And Using a wet/dry filter will keep it at 40-50

SPS need the perameters as low as possible but 5ppm of nitrates will still be fine for even acroporas. it is best to have 0ppm but 5ppm is nothing

Ty for all the help. Have some nice ideas in my head. And when I get it worked out will be reporting and getting advise on it all. Ty again.

Back
Top Bottom