Wet skim vs. Dry skim...what's your preference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
My old skimmer used to skim very dry. I just installed the AquaC Remora over the weekend and I've already had to empty the cup once in just a few days. It was full of a light brown skimmate.

I can adjust it to skim more dry or more wet even, but what's the differences between the two? I know I'll adjust it to get a bit more "dry" so that it's a darker brown.

How do you skim?

I don't know much at all, but I keep my skimmer to dry skimming... simply because there's basically 0 chance of an overflow and I don't need to change the cup often.

I have a thick green liquid in my skimmer cup and it slowly increases

I could be wrong, But my understanding is that Dry Skimming means you'll have darker media in your cup, and it will take longer before full, while Wet Skimming means you'll have lighter media in your cup, and will have to empty the cup more often, But that Wet skimming removes even more stuff than dry skimming.

Again I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

-Chad

TheChad said:
I could be wrong, But my understanding is that Dry Skimming means you'll have darker media in your cup, and it will take longer before full, while Wet Skimming means you'll have lighter media in your cup, and will have to empty the cup more often, But that Wet skimming removes even more stuff than dry skimming.

-Chad
I would agree with this. It's for this reason that I skim a little on the wet side. My skimmate is brown-green but definately liquid. I have to empty it once a week or so....

Dr.Nate said:
TheChad said:

-Chad
I would agree with this. It's for this reason that I skim a little on the wet side. My skimmate is brown-green but definately liquid. I have to empty it once a week or so....

Same Here. I empty Mine once a week or so, and it's definitly liquid, its a medium/dark color, and smells strong enough to make you sick.

-TheChad

I used to empty mine once a week, with a little amount of very dark liquid. Now, I just emptied it again...but the cup was literally almost overflowing with a light brown liquid. I just adjusted it to get a little more brown.

So, the preference so far is to skim a little on the drier side to get a darker color.

I would guess that skimming wetter would remove more, but is that really true?

Thanks for the input guys.

Devilishturtles said:
I used to empty mine once a week, with a little amount of very dark liquid. Now, I just emptied it again...but the cup was literally almost overflowing with a light brown liquid. I just adjusted it to get a little more brown.

So, the preference so far is to skim a little on the drier side to get a darker color.

I would guess that skimming wetter would remove more, but is that really true?

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes, as I said before, wetter skimming removes more junk, But there is a point where you can over skim then you just getting water, and having to change the cup every day.

I set my skimmper so the foam comes right to the middle of the Cone.

| |
| |
| |
/ \<--- My Foam comes To Here.

That way when water evporates, the foam will get down to the bottom of the cone.

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom