Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what about a wrasse?

I am trying to figure out a new addition to my tank. currently have two O. Clowns in QT. I planned on purple firefish but I took of my glass top so they would not work. The new plan is possibly a wrasse. The problemis they are also known for jumping. Anyone know of a wrasse that does not jump?

I like the labouts fairy and red velvet but of course the bio says they are jumpers. What about the six line or carpenters flasher wrasses?

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
steve-s

All fish are potential jumpers, it's best to plan in that direction than hoping to get the right ones that aren't prone to it. Can you post a good pic showing the top area of your tank? Mabye there a few good suggestions looming around to help. Eggcrate is usually the best choice.

Before you decide on which wrasse to get, I would think about other additions that you might want in regards to decorative crustaceans. If you wish to add any of those, your choices are norrowed down quite a bit. Larger wrasses are definately out as well due to tank size (29 gal) and flasher/carpenters do poorly solo.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-21-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I love my Sixline, but if I were you I would wait before adding him. He's aggresive towards any new fish for the first week or so, and particularly aggressive towards other wrasses.

I would start with some some of Fairy wrasse now and add a Sixline later.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been told that my wrasses were jumpers, but neither has shown any interest in swimming away from the reef.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to PumaKrieg Send a message via MSN to PumaKrieg Send a message via Yahoo to PumaKrieg
Six line wrasses are very nice and i've had them with a pair of my clowns b4 and they were all best pals
PumaKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

pumakrieg- I know they are compatible but I need one that one jump. As I stated in the original post I removed the glass top to improve oxygen exchange and want something that I dont need to worry about carpet surfing. Any ideas?

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to PumaKrieg Send a message via MSN to PumaKrieg Send a message via Yahoo to PumaKrieg
All wrasses are jumpers so you would have to stray away from your goal. Maybe a blenny wrasse?

PumaKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com