What about powerheads??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have aqua clear 402's but how long before powerheads need replacing .Mine are about 3 yrs old, used them for 2 yrs on old salt water tank. Not using then now on my fresh tank. Their in storage. Should I only need to replace the impellers occasionally or what? When I start this new tank I want to add the pre filter sponge to them, I always have a problem with them sucking up fish even when their on low.

Aqua Clears are good PH's. I prefer the Maxi Jets, but if you already have the AQ's, use them by all means. As long as you keep them clean, they'll last a long, long time. Usually, when the impeller fails, the magnet will come loose on the impeller shaft or the impeller will break. It's good to pull the rubber tips off the shaft once in a while and clean the buildup off the shaft as this can lock the impeller down and cause the PH to overheat.
I wouldn't use a sponge on them. Aqua Clear makes a PH prefilter that will snap right on the PH. Take the filter floss out and just use it as a screen to prevent fish/inverts from being sucked in.
I think if you set up a nano, you'll find that the AQ's take up too much room. In a nano, I'd go with Aquarium Systems Mini Jets. They are adjustable flow and are small enough to fit in a 10 without taking up half the tank. They're also fairly cheap :mrgreen: .
Logan J

The Aqua Clear prefilter is the one I was talking about. Good Idea about taking the floss out. I kept those PH very clean when I was using them so they should be in good condition. My husband & I talked about it & decided we'd rather look at our 55 gal than a small tank so we're going to make it fit in our new house if all possible. It's the military so we won't see the house they'll put us in till we get there. I wish we knew right now we were going to have room for it.

I use mini jets and maxi jets, they haven't given me any problems. I got a few mini jets with my instant ocean salt mix and I put one in my 20 and one in my 10. One LFS here uses so much instant ocean that they give the mini jets away for free. I'm going to see how many I can get. If I can get some I'll send them to anyone who wants one if they pay shipping.

I'll take one or more at that price :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !
Lianne,
I think you'll be happier with the 55 anyway. AQ makes several sizes in the prefilter. I'd go with the small one as it will serve the purpose and won't take up so much room.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom