Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2003, 10:14 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Since this was posted in the SW forum I have to guess you want to use it in the SW tank. Since salt mix has various minterals and trace elements within it already adding rainwater that could include other various minerals including maybe some that the salt mix has could cause a chemical inbalance in your tank. This inbalance could lead to excess algae growth or quite possibly unknown wilting of inverts or invert dealths.

While the local enviorment will play a big role in whats in the water just like it plays a big role in the quality of well water. If your in a fairly rural area then your rainwater will probably less contaminated than if your in an industeral area or if your down wind of an industural area. (acid rain)

The best water for SW tanks because of the potental for chemical inbalance is RO or RO/DI water. Since this water is for all intensive purposes pure its free of extra minerals and thus is easier to acheve the chemical balance that the salt mixs are designed to give us.

Rain water is probably desirable for plants for the same reason that RO/DI water would be undesirable for plants. Im not a plant person so I dont know if this is indeed the case but I can see problems comming from giving house plants pure water vs tap or rain water.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I wouldn't say that where you live helps that much, weather patterns do. Nova Scotia gets tons of pollution from down south (no finger pointing), a lot more than we produce. So I would play it safe and not use rainwater.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would guess that the atmosphere in the area you live plays a huge part, if you live in New York, rain will probably be filled with impurities, and if you live in the middle of the South Americian rain forest the rain water is probably of great quality.

Also I would guess that the plants and soil around a certin area acts like a filter of some sorts that conditions the water making it somewhat purified.

I really don't know I am just guessing here, intresting non the less.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Barney
Just an intresting article I found on the net.

A new National Wildlife Federation report entitled Clean the Rain, Clean the Lakes: Mercury in Rain Is Polluting The Great Lakes, reveals that the rain falling from the skies over the Midwestern U.S. is not as clean as we think. Our rain contains levels of mercury that far exceed what the Environmental Protection Agency considers "safe" for water in the Great Lakes and other waterways. Mercury is a potent toxin that, even in tiny amounts, can have devastating effects on those who consume fish that come from contaminated waterways. In wildlife, mercury is a reproductive hazard, causing harmful effects on a range of species including many frogs, rainbow trout, zebra fish, mallard and American black ducks, loons and terns. With so much at stake for both people and wildlife, decisive action is needed now to clean up our rain, because it is human action that is polluting it in the first place.

http://www.nwf.org/cleantherain/CTRexec.html
Old 11-26-2003, 02:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I remember when I used to fish for perch from the great lakes with my grandfather years ago, I woulbn't eat them today.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Barney
Yeah it is happening almost everywhere I believe. The point of this is that fishes are surving...So I assume setting fishes up outdoors using tap water or well water then exposed to rain water will eventually cause some of the outdoor fishes to be infilterated with this so called "acid rain" or "mercury".

I may be wrong, but this is something I am looking at and putting the puzzle together.

So rain water in general is bad and good depending on where you live.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com