Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2003, 08:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to RubixCube Send a message via MSN to RubixCube
What about rain water for fish?

Is it possible to use rain water for tanks? Rain is filtered, and in most places free of poulition and chemicals. Pros/Cons or just opinions?

Old 11-25-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
i have heard that rain water has tons of unwanted minerals and things that you wouldn't want in your tank.
steve

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to riptide
I would not suggest using rain water for your aquarium..... Water vapor travels many many miles in the form of clouds before it is re-deposited on earth in the form of rain.... During these travels clouds develop a static charge that collects all types of chemicals and unwanted elements from the surrounding air.... Its mother nature's mechanical atmospheric filter...
Old 11-25-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Barney
that is a very intresting subject here....

Rain water is known to do best for potted plants while tap water isn't. (anyone notice that?) Also you may heard of people adding shallow wells for irrigation purpose instead of using the tap water.

I haven't had any effect on my fishes outside. they get rain water. So if it is harmful then I should be losing fishes outside.

I am not here to start a storm, but would it be great to educate and learn something we never thought of?
Old 11-25-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, thatís what I was thinking too. Rain is mostly what is in my pond. It raining here now and just did a few of the basic tests on it such as Ammonia and Ph and Nitrate and I all checks out perfectly. As for chemicals, I have no way of testing. I would defiantly think its worth wild to check into. Yes, I can see, rainwater in the middle of summer in the Middle of a big city (New York, Toronto) can have some chemicals (acid rain) but for the most part, it should be fairly clean.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Neuve Send a message via MSN to Neuve Send a message via Yahoo to Neuve
I read somewhere NT's did great in rain water bcuz it was slightly acidic... I dunno, just a thought
Old 11-26-2003, 12:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think pond fish might not count becuase they are in general a lot hardier than say discus. I think it would all depend on what was in the tank.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 07:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rain will definatly be very acidic and you might end up having to buffer it to use it or mix it with tap water. My mom hangs tshirts with stains outside and after a rain the stain is gone. Hmmmm?

As was mentioned it will probably depend on your fish type. Tetras will probably do well in rain water as they are mostly from the amazon. Not good for African Cichlids though.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

The rainwater i tested was actually quite neutral 7
Old 11-26-2003, 09:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to riptide
It appears, after some furthur research on the subjec,t that the quality of the rainwater in a given locale varies depending on enumerous factors. Jet-Stream /Originating Altitude / Originating or evaporative locale, etc... The quote below is from science daily and I have included a link to their site/page with similar topics... Apparently California is being pollutted by Mercury from ASIA....

"ó Industrial emissions in Asia are a major source of mercury in rainwater that falls along the California coast, according to a new study by researchers at the University of California, Santa Cruz"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/related....e=991208055758

My opinion would be to steer cleer of rainwater for aquariums, we dont culture the specific bacterial strains indoors that naturally develop with slow introduction of various chemical compounds in our outdoor ponds... Just an opinion..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com