Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What am I doing wrong??

Hello, all first off lvls are all at 0 except nitrate which is at 5ppm.. But that is going down as my new fuge breaks in. This is the second time I have tried Xenia and I can't seem to get it right. I went to fellow reefers house he fraged it for me for the second time it looked great. I drip acclimated for 2 hrs stuck him in the tank. He promptly bent over unfolded all his little polyps and they hung there he looked like a weeping willow tree. This was on sunday. So on monday I figured that I will get him as close to my light as I can so he is about 5 inches away on top of a powerhead all by himself. Now he is just blowing in the current. Will he ever stiffen back up and do the pulsing thing? Can you guys think of something that I might try. I really like the Xenia but The last one I tried did the same thing just kinda melted in my tank after a few days. I am having no other problems with anything else. Zoos, buttons, bubble, Green stars. anomone. Fish are all great.. Just cannot seem to get this Xena to take off on me. Any suggestions??

Doan

Old 03-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrrrkva
What is your salinity and your dkh? Mine love 1.025-6 on the salinity and higher alkalinity. How long has your friend had his Xenia. The more they reproduce in captivity and the further you get down in the generations, the stronger and more resistant they become.

http://community.webshots.com/user/catfish6661
mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I keep salinity at 1.024 and my alk around 5.0 so I will try that. Mabye if I raise the alk a bit she well finally settle in. It's worth a shot. Thanks for the advice

Doan
Old 03-18-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I keep my salinity ant 1.024 and alk at 12 dkh and my Xenia's are doing quite well.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would definitely pursue raising the alk. I think that 8-12dkh is the range you want with the higher being better. 5.0 sounds low.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok thanks guys I am on it.. I'll pick up some Reef Builder on the way home..
funny my seachem test kit says anything between 4.5 and 7 is good.. hmmmmmm

Doan
Old 03-19-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Don't quote me on this, but I think those levels are ok for fish, but not coral...
Old 03-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

ahh ok well I brought it up a bit last night and finally I have the feeling that the little bugger will pull through... It even started pulsing a bit.. so thank you very much for the help.

Doan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com