Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Your problem is simple. What you put in needs to go out. If not, algae and parameter issues. Cut way back on feeding and use ro/di, or ro at best, for water changes. Manually remove the algae during water changes. There are two articles on algae issues in my signature that will help you out.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! What would be a good feeding schedual for the stock i have? And how long should the feeding periode be? Thanks for all advices

Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I feed my tank twice a week minimally. Until you get your issue under control, I'd suggest the same. Minimally for my tank is a cube of frozen food. For a fish or two it might be a third of a cube, if that.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had a reef expert comme to my place and check my tank out and test it. My nitrates tested 0 and same with phosphats to my surprise. I am guessing ill need to replace my bulbs soon thats why i have algae
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygaliazzo View Post
I had a reef expert comme to my place and check my tank out and test it. My nitrates tested 0 and same with phosphats to my surprise. I am guessing ill need to replace my bulbs soon thats why i have algae
Phosphates are very hard to test for, I doubt it's your lights, you pay experts so they in my opinion can be persuaded, experts here have no venue
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didnt pay him to come i bought a bit of live rock and zooplankton and offered to come and check my tank, he knows what hes talking about he imports fish and corals andd sells them I know he knows what hes talking about
Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a lot of algae growth your tests will measure 0 since its all being used up
Old 03-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygaliazzo View Post
I didnt pay him to come i bought a bit of live rock and zooplankton and offered to come and check my tank, he knows what hes talking about he imports fish and corals andd sells them I know he knows what hes talking about
Ok. I guess you have everything you need, all lfs import and sell fish and corals, that doesn't mean they know what they are talking about, telling you that you have 0
phosphates in my opinion means they really don't know what the are talking about. As rockguy said, the algae is using the phosphates to grow, that's why it shows 0, but I'm no expert, good luck
Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
If you have a lot of algae growth your tests will measure 0 since its all being used up

+1. With algae like that your levels are probably very high in both nitrate and phosphate, and you should proceed accordingly
Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I was you I'd invest in an rodi unit. One of the best investment you can make. At the very least go to your LFS and buy rodi water. Do Large water changes while vacuuming as much algae as you can. I'd also reduce feeding and your lighting time until you get it under control

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com