What am i doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you rock guy! Exactly the type of comment i was looking for i will give it a try.i just find weird that his test didnt show any traces of nitrate and phosphate. What could be the minimum amount of light i can give my tank to make sure my
Corals stay alive

Algae feeds off of nitrates and phosphates. It's like fertilizer for algae. When I had an algae problem I kept my blues in for 6 hours and my whites in for 4. Blues on an hour before and after whites. IMO if you want a nice reef tank good test kits are good investments also.

I've learned that solving these problems is a trail and error type of thing. Some stuff works across the board. But not every system is the same. Each and every reef aquarium is its own little ecosystem

So if i understand i could be running my 65w actinic and 12w mixed led band for 6 hours and then i add the white for 4 hours And that would not harm the corals?

Blues for an hour. Whits and blues for 4 hours then blues for another hour. If you have a sump run that light opposite. Your coral will be fine

If I was you I'd invest in an rodi unit. One of the best investment you can make. At the very least go to your LFS and buy rodi water. Do Large water changes while vacuuming as much algae as you can. I'd also reduce feeding and your lighting time until you get it under control

You know you need to do all of this not just reduce lighting right? I would also suggest running some carbon and phosphate media if your not all ready, and do 3-4 large (50%) wc's this week with manual removal to start to get your params under control

You know you need to do all of this not just reduce lighting right? I would also suggest running some carbon and phosphate media if your not all ready, and do 3-4 large (50%) wc's this week with manual removal to start to get your params under control

This is sound advice. Just cutting the lights back isn't gonna solve the problem. It is like putting a band aid on it. Getting nutrients under control is the main issue going on right now.

I will invest in a ro/di unit very soon but i tested my params 2 days ago and nitrate was 0-5, phosphate 0, ph 8.1.
I dont have algua growing in other place than the sand. Doing 3 50% water change in the same week wont eliminate the good bacterias?

Your not testing high for phosphate or nitrate because the algae is feeding off them, but they are there. Ro/di is key if you can't get that use distilled not spring water. And no large wc's do not harm your bb, they are on your rocks and sand not the water

I did a 50% water change 2 days ago im gonna do an other one tomorrow. This is how the tank looks after i siphoned the green algua 2 days ago.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394047963.253714.jpg

It depends how much nutrients/build up you have in the tank and how fast it takes to remove it. It will differ tank to tank.

I'm no pro by any means. But I think you should add maybe one or two more low power heads and maybe a GFO reactor. The GFO is a band aide but it helps almost immediately with the algae problem. Then drop your feeding to once a week twice at the max. Also get rid of those snails and make sure none are dead. They are a pain and will die if you don't flip over. If nothing eats them it will cause issues too. IMHO they are more a pain then anything.

Siphon it out as much as you can. Take the vacuum tube of and use straight hose. Turn your lights down to 6 hours a day. And get gfo and a reactor . Keep fighting it.. I had same issue for 6 months. It's finally all gone. Make sure to stick up on snails and blue leg crabs

Following as I have the same issue. What's a good reactor to purchase?

I have the reef octopus beginner reactor. Paid like $60. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom