Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What am i doing wrong?

I am putting so much time and energy in the hobby, i do 25% water change, when i do i siphone my sand bed,i give 10h of light per day i have a jns vs1(90-120 gallon) capacity and i still yave some algae problems.My rocks seem fine but my sand started growing a lot of algae in it and i cant stand it. I tried using phosguard 2 weeks before this happened. Anyone have any advice on what this depends and how to stop it
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393903457.631809.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	225803

Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using tap water or RODI? What livestock do you have and what's your feeding schedule? What is the flow in your tank?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Your params would help as well. And do you do these wc's weekly?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You posted this exact questions a few weeks ago, people advised you and ask you questions to help figure it out, but you never responded but now you asking again? No one can help you unless you participate. If you are not using good quality RODI water you may never get it fixed, it also appears that you have a heavy stocked tank which means a lot of left over food and waste
Old 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am using natural spring water that i buy from the grocery store in 19L volume. My nitrate are 20 ph 8.4 and i have 2 clowns,2 chromis,midas blenny green wrasse 1 fire shrimp , 1 cleaner shrimp hermits snails. I have 1 powerhead of 740g/h towards the surface to keep it moving. I never tested phosphate but in preatty sure its too high but i wanna know what causes my phosphate to go up. I feed them everyday all you can eat of brine shrimp for 1 minute, putting in little by little and waiting for them to finish before adding more. How expensive is ro/di water?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

25% water change was every 2 weeks but i think il do it every week from now on
Old 03-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would start using RO DI water and start mixing salt rather than palm springs water.. its ok stuff but I wouldn't use it in a saltwater aquarium.. if you buy your own ro di unit it will pay for it self in a couple months.. you can get them anywhere from 120 on up. I would get atleast a 4 stage system and make sure you get a digital gauge and a pressure gauge with it. be sure to get it at a saltwater fish store or online(not one from lowes or hardware store they are a little different)

Jeremy
jeremy upshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes I suspect your water, spring water is made to drink not to support a reef. Even lfs water can not be trusted, they never change filters when they need change as they will milk every penny out of the profit margin. You spring water could be 50-300 tds, you need a handheld meter to check it. You make purse water with a rodi unit by, bypassing the di cartage. An added benefit with a few cheap valves is pure drinking water. An rodi unit should be the first piece of equipment that you but, even before the tank, it is that important. It is 95% of your reef, its the heart of it. Its really hard to help you without using rodi , everything else would be a guess.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Feeding every day all they can eat for a minute is too much. Feed them a few times a week for a while, and all they can eat in about 15 seconds. It doesn't matter if they eat it all, the food is still in the tank.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok but im scared that my shrimps dienoff because they barly est anything even during the all you can eat, the fish eat it very quickly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com