what are good fish for a biocube and what could be a good center piece coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidmaguirre

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just wondering what are good and peaceful fish to put into a bio that have nice colors besides clownfish? I currently have a royal grandma and a cleaner shrimp.. I also wanted to know what a good center piece coral I could get for a biocube with stock lighting?

I agree with the corals listed above. As for fish you could get a goby or a firefish. You could also get some kind of dwarf angel!

Theres clowns of course, you can do designer clowns to be different. Also a goby and blenny would work out fine too. Like said above maybe a pygmy angel fish...even a wrasse woudl work since its a covered tank. But I would limit it to about 4-5 fish tops. I'm overstocked in my cube now with 6 fish, but 4 of them arent swimming fish, just perchers or burrowers or just plain sandbed fish. I only have the two clowns that utilize the whole tank.

I would also say add some shrimp, I have a cleaner and three peppermints and some emerald crabs are cool too. :)

Think twice about a dwarf angel, I have a coral beauty angel that is picking at my leather coral I just got! Going to rehome the angel today.

The angel never bothered my mushrooms but I wouldn't trust one with any other coral!

Ahh good point. They are known to nip...so if it were me I'd leave them out of the mix.

Have you looked at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums yet? You can get an idea of what you like and then go from there. Theres so many options it's hard topin one down. There are dozens of gobies and blennies to choose from. Also a royal gramma is a cool one, very colorful but kinda stays in the rocks. or a dottyback too, also very colorful. Then theres cardinal fish as well.

Thanx for the site:) yea I've got a royal grandma it always hides .. are wrasses reef safe?

nano

when i had my 29 jbj up and running i had a beautiful torch for a center piece and for fish a fire goby ,couple clowns,and a sixline wrasse.because it was covered it worked i have lost fish from the wrasse family in open tanks.personally i think a coral beauty is a poor choice for a nano watching mine explore his 180 gal.just seems to little room.jmo.

ken rooke said:
when i had my 29 jbj up and running i had a beautiful torch for a center piece and for fish a fire goby ,couple clowns,and a sixline wrasse.because it was covered it worked i have lost fish from the wrasse family in open tanks.personally i think a coral beauty is a poor choice for a nano watching mine explore his 180 gal.just seems to little room.jmo.

I agree, after watching my coral beauty I think my 40 gallon was to small, they use every inch of swimming space.

Thanku for the advice.. is the sixline wrasse reef safe and I heard they pick on all the crabs and stuff is that true?

I had a six line wrasse and added him last, they are semi-agressive. From what I have read they can be terrors in smaller tanks. (I had one for a while until we had a heat wave when I wasn't home and the aquarium got to warm.)

I have a sixline in my 54 and he does fantastic. I thought he was nipping at my favia the other day, but now I think he was just smelling it. LOL

Thanku for the advice.. is the sixline wrasse reef safe and I heard they pick on all the crabs and stuff is that true?
after i shut down the nano i put mine in the 180 and was worried he might jump out as i have lost wrasse,s before with being uncovered.anyway with all the room he has to explore his is quite content and exhibits exemplary behavior.leaves the crabs,corals everything alone.in the cube he was a terrorist.live and learn.more room as always lessens agression.

Back
Top Bottom