Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

That makes absolutely no sense...you are the first and only person who has said my lighting is inadequate. Everyone else has said that unless I want corals, the lighting is more than sufficient. If this lighting was not sufficient for FOWLR, then why are these the majority of bulbs for sale for saltwater tanks?

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

A marine tank in general without corals doesn't need the reef lighting and typically for a fish only tank, you do have sufficient lighting. HOWEVER, if you want that coraline algae and the natural growth that is currently on the rock, then you'll need reef grade lighting to keep it or it goes away and is replaced with low light growth. The bio stays. The natural growth changes.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm...well, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to afford more intense lighting until probably May...does this mean everything will die off? Or if I get more intense lighting in May, will any of it come back? I was not aware I needed more intense lights...I'm sure the LFS I bought the Reef Sun bulb at would take it back.

What do you think of these? These are not 3 watts per gallon, they would be 2.4 at 110W, but these seem affordable and look as though they would fit right on top of my current hood? Would these give me a better chance at bright coralline growth?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113345

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

You might look into one of these Paul
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113345

This will get you over 4 watts/gallon. I have one on my 50 and love it. You can beat the price by looking on ebay, and it's also available as a model that doesn't have the built-in lunars. A little more money than what you posted, but not that much really. Your tank isn't all that deep so this would give you a lot of options. I even keep an anemone in my 50 and he's been growing like a weed for the past few months. Same for my coraline.

Edit: Here's a link from ebay for the model without the built-in lunar lights. This is the one I have.
http://cgi.ebay.com/36-CORALIFE-AQUA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-27-2006, 05:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

This here will give your tank 3 watts per gallon. There are two 96 watt power compact bulbs and has lunar lighting, which looks really nice. This light can also be found on Dr. Foster's website but I do believe these are cheaper at the above link. There is also an option to buy refurbished, which is new, but have been fixed or modified due to shipping problems (like when a box drops...it gets sent back to the manufacturer). These are sent back to be checked out and replace any parts that may have been broken during shipment. That's all of what refurbished is and you can save a great deal of money with refurbished products...especially for marine systems.

The light strip you provided a link for would be better than what you have, but may or may not be enough to sustain certain coralline algae growth. It'd be worth the extra $20 to get a higher wattage.

If you ever think of having corals or even anemones, the tank would need at least a 4x65 (4 bulbs/65 watts each).

If the growth on the LR goes away, when you do upgrade the lighting, you can get a few pieces of new LR and plant them along the other rocks and the natural growth will spread.

Read up on calcium and alkalinity additives. These elements are used to 'feed' the rock and it aids in promoting coralline algae growth. B-Ionic is one product I'm familiar with and Corallife has a calium/alkalinity pack. It's a two bottle system. Calcium and alkalinity test kits would be required. You'd test for these elements and according to the results would add one or the other or both or none. Calcium should be kept at 450 and alkalinity kept between 2.5 and 4.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you purchased from this company before? I like the idea of buying refurbished. After all, it's not like a light system is as complicated as your computer or PDA...it either transfers light to the bulbs or it doesn't...

The only problem is the complete lack of information on the link you gave me...it doesn't tell me anything. Is there another link you could give me that would give me some information? Also, how would I mount this on the tank? Does it come with legs?

Paul

EDIT! I called the company, and they were very helpful. He recommended either the one you showed me or the Orbit brand. Both of them look like they would work very well. I think I am going to go with the one you showed me though, I love the idea of having lunar lights...also, with this lighting system (which is very reasonable) I will have about 4.2 wpg, which will allow me to have some corals!!! I'm getting kind of excited about this light now...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com