What are my sun corals growning on? Not a rock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsigler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Gang,

About two weeks ago I purchased a sun coral from my LFS. Staring at my new coral, I could swear it was moving! I just assumed there was a hermit crab under it.

Well today I figured it out. The rock it is growing on really isn't a rock. It's alive!

What is this thing, and how do I feed it? If it dies, will it fill my tank with ammonia, etc?

I used a light in one of the photos so you can see the inside of it.

Thanks!

Rob

sun1.jpg

sun2.jpg

sun3.jpg

BTW, in the first pic, it is closed, in the second it is open, and the third pic you can see the inside.

So how do I take care of this thing? What should I feed it? I don't want to let it starve to death. I knew I wasn't seeing things! :)

Rob

They need alot of light and a medium waterflow. They are a filter feeder so I would assume that marine snow would take care of that. You might want to look up the clams on liveaquaria.com to see if you can find the exact one. It might be a difficult process, as clams aren't the easiest to care for to begin with, but the fact that a low light coral is sitting ontop of a high light clam...

Sniperhank said:
They need alot of light and a medium waterflow. They are a filter feeder so I would assume that marine snow would take care of that. You might want to look up the clams on liveaquaria.com to see if you can find the exact one. It might be a difficult process, as clams aren't the easiest to care for to begin with, but the fact that a low light coral is sitting ontop of a high light clam...

Are you sure that's a photosynthetic clam? All the tridachnids I've seen have a teardrop or striped pattern. The mantle in the pic reminds me of a thorny oyster which is a filter feeder, but I believe is not photosynthetic.

Are you sure that's a photosynthetic clam? All the tridachnids I've seen have a teardrop or striped pattern. The mantle in the pic reminds me of a thorny oyster which is a filter feeder, but I believe is not photosynthetic.

Agreed 100% thats what I thought it was

It is kind of a funny name. I guess they are caled sun corals because of their color and perhaps their shape, but they are definitely not photosynthetic.

If they both were in shaded areas before (hopefully) and they are healthy now- leave them there. Lol. Obviously that colony didnt grow in direct sunlight so I would assume that the clam/oyster isn't a light driven organism. If it is an oyster- make sure to supplement calcium as it will need it. Also, clams and oysters are filter feeders. If you broadcast feed your tank- with shrimp and phytoplankton- it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom